Set Review: 7314 Recon Mech RP

All things space. Also things not space.

Set Review: 7314 Recon Mech RP

Postby BobaFett2 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:00 pm

I got this set free along with a load of other sets, and this was the best space set among them (although there were some great Res-Q sets, some Star Wars, and Castle-not so much space). So I built it, and now I'll review it.

The Set Design
Image7314 Mecha by LEGOBobaFett2, on Flickr
The set is great, and there's a lot of cool things about it-makes up for the lack of good spaceships in Life on Mars.

The set is made up of 3 sections, them being the Tank, the cockpit/torso, and the legs. They are modular, although there aren't really any combinations with this set (except with other LoM robots).
The Lower Body[b]
Image7314 Leg by LEGOBobaFett2, on Flickr
The Torso is pretty good, with an interesting build. The legs can move outwards due to hinge parts, which really makes for great pose-ability. There is a double-pinhole SYSTEM brick on each side for modular building, although within the set they serve no real purpose.
Image7314 Knee by LEGOBobaFett2, on Flickr
The legs are cool, with a nice printed part on the kneecaps. They have a solid feel and the feet give a sense of stability.
[b]The Tank

Image7314 Tank by LEGOBobaFett2, on Flickr
The Tank is nothing special, but with the set is gives the look of a tough mecha with flamethrower. It has two rare sand red semi-cylinder parts and a printed piece on top.
The Torso
Image7314 Right Arm by LEGOBobaFett2, on Flickr
The right arm, sadly, doesn't appear very solid, and is quite flimsy compared to the legs. It does decently, though, but the flamethrower could be improved. The tubes connecting to the flamethrower are really nice.
Image7314 Left Arm by LEGOBobaFett2, on Flickr
The left arm is the same as the right arm, but the tube here doesn't really make sense. The tube does still, however, add a real good robotic look. Instead of a flamethrower, they have a claw-a great use of the part, although it is a bit oversized for the mecha.
More pics here.
As for parts, there are many good things to say about this set.
Rare Parts
There are numerous rare parts in this set, including:
* A claw
* Hinge parts (new) in old dark gray
* LoM Printed Parts (4x4 inverted LoM Radar Dish, "pressure" tile, LoM 2x2 plate with Fire, LoM vent 2x2 plate, 2x3 slope with LoM pattern
* 2x2 Brick with two pins in old gray
* Hose with a stud at one end a tube at the other
* Red hinge parts
* A lot of parts in sand red
* Smoke windshield
* Trans neon green laser gun/scanner
OVERALL
Overall, I rate this set:
-Parts:
Good for parts, great number of useful ones, great for LoM MOCing and for other mecha. 5/5
-Playability
Not as much my thing, but this set is pretty darn playable. 4.5/5
-Color Scheme
The colors weren't perfect, but they weren't awful. 3.5/5
-Design
It's a great design and very different from both previous and future mecha. 5/5
-Overall: 4.5/5-It's good, and probably the best of the Life on Mars theme, and probably one of LEGO's best manned robotic/mecha vehicles, but it's not perfect.
Image Image Image
BobaFett2

Re: Set Review: 7314 Recon Mech RP

Postby Blackicep8ntball » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Nice review, BobaFett2. I think it's a great idea to get some reviews going on here.

You solidly hit all the features, and added some great commentary. One thing I'd love to see is a break down of the parts (just a picture of all the parts separated out).

Bring on the reviews!
Blackicep8ntball

Re: Set Review: 7314 Recon Mech RP

Postby BobaFett2 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Blackicep8ntball wrote:Nice review, BobaFett2. I think it's a great idea to get some reviews going on here.

You solidly hit all the features, and added some great commentary. One thing I'd love to see is a break down of the parts (just a picture of all the parts separated out).

Bring on the reviews!

Yeah, I might consider doing that but for now I need to build a lot of other sets so that my parents (just a year or two more and then FREEDOM!) will freak out about my room.
Image Image Image
BobaFett2

Return to Space.