New Theme: Alien Conquest

All things space. Also things not space.

Re: New Theme: Alien Conquest

Postby bothanrodian » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:56 pm

These looks decent, but I really don't like the colors :?
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
bothanrodian

Postby Capt_Redstorm » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:27 am

Don't know if anyone has seen this video yet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZfmpyjJkMw, but the Alien Conquest figs are in it, starting at 2:13, after the series 4 and 5 collectible figs. Blue is the uniform color, unlike some who guessed blue violet. Some pretty cool looking figs in it and most worth noting (has it been noted before?) is that trans-clear visors will finally no longer be non-production, woot!
Capt_Redstorm

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:29 pm

Wow! The figs do look great!

Lots of series 5 is beginning to look like repeats....
The first theory of Ketchup: With enough Ketchup, everything tastes the same.

Admiral Netsooj

Postby Capt_Redstorm » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:26 am

Admiral Netsooj wrote:Wow! The figs do look great!

Lots of series 5 is beginning to look like repeats....

Yeah, true. But still some nice new torsos, hair, hats and heads.
Capt_Redstorm

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:55 pm

Some new information has turned up:

http://www.spieletest.at/bericht.php?ID=865

Not much more, but a close up of a couple fo the sets.

EDIT: Post 100!

Admiral Netsooj

Postby Capt_Redstorm » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:54 am

Admiral Netsooj wrote:Some new information has turned up:

http://www.spieletest.at/bericht.php?ID=865

Not much more, but a close up of a couple fo the sets.

EDIT: Post 100!

Ooo, nice. Like that new saucer bubble canopy. And the truck HQ functions are pretty nice.
Capt_Redstorm

Postby Stargorger » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:24 pm

Man, I cant see any of it because of the flickr blocker here at work. But they sound cool!

I always hated that in the LOM series it was all just lovey-dovey peace and hapiness between the humans and aliens. Then when Mars Mission came out I though "oh good, a change to redo it!" But instead they made the aliens ugly hard-to-see two-piece (TWO pieces? Who the heck came up with THAT design decision????) junk. So that was disappointing too. I'm hoping this line turns out to be a better mixing of the two: a humans-versus-aliens thing where the aliens are actually, like another RACE, not just monsters.

On that subject maybe I should start another thread...but in the meantime I'll ask it here...does anyone have any clue why the heck Lego can't come up with another body type/shape/mold that works just as well as the normal 'humanoid' body? What's with all these battle-droid spin-offs and wierd monstrosities like the MM aliens and 'head suits'. ???

Lego needs to get serious about making another body design, either for aliens or monsters or both. To meet my criteria, it would need:
Moveable (not REmovable) hands
Moveable legs at the waist
Holes for studs in the feet and back of legs
Turnable heads that can hold SOME sort of helmet (even if it's not the normal kind)
Moveable arms (not REmovable)
A body that comes apart at the waist.

That can't be THAT hard. In fact, I'm going to mold some myself.
Am I the only one that sees this need?
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Postby Capt_Redstorm » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:12 am

Stargorger wrote:Man, I cant see any of it because of the flickr blocker here at work. But they sound cool!

I always hated that in the LOM series it was all just lovey-dovey peace and hapiness between the humans and aliens. Then when Mars Mission came out I though "oh good, a change to redo it!" But instead they made the aliens ugly hard-to-see two-piece (TWO pieces? Who the heck came up with THAT design decision????) junk. So that was disappointing too. I'm hoping this line turns out to be a better mixing of the two: a humans-versus-aliens thing where the aliens are actually, like another RACE, not just monsters.

On that subject maybe I should start another thread...but in the meantime I'll ask it here...does anyone have any clue why the heck Lego can't come up with another body type/shape/mold that works just as well as the normal 'humanoid' body? What's with all these battle-droid spin-offs and wierd monstrosities like the MM aliens and 'head suits'. ???

Lego needs to get serious about making another body design, either for aliens or monsters or both. To meet my criteria, it would need:
Moveable (not REmovable) hands
Moveable legs at the waist
Holes for studs in the feet and back of legs
Turnable heads that can hold SOME sort of helmet (even if it's not the normal kind)
Moveable arms (not REmovable)
A body that comes apart at the waist.

That can't be THAT hard. In fact, I'm going to mold some myself.
Am I the only one that sees this need?

I'm guessing the answer, is what you've already realized. Coming up with another body design produces such things as the battle droids, MM's gummy candy aliens and so on. Plus, if you think about, most aliens in the Star Wars and Star Trek and Stargate universes, are bipedal humanoids. Creating more complicated creatures is the same for Lego, as it is for TV and movies. It costs more time and more money.

I see nothing wrong with using regular bodies for the aliens. Heads are probably the most important part of any alien and I think both SPIII and AC prove this. Not only would TLG spend a lot of money making new body part molds, it would also cost money to come up with new prints for the front and/or back torso, legs and arms. Minifigs are already the most expensive parts of every set. Therefore, I don't see new body parts becoming a factor any time soon. Non-removable arms and hands might reduce the costs somewhat, but kills the ability to swap these parts between figs, which is imho an important feature. The helmets are also kind of a ridiculous idea. The odd shape of alien heads would make it difficult to produce a helmet that had the same amount of stress tolerance as the usual variety of helmets.

The giant head masks, like some of the Atlantis creatures wear or in the case of a few, like the one from Angler Attack, are rather silly and perhaps don't have nearly the uses that normal fig heads do, but again, these are sea creatures and aliens. I think most of them are pretty neat, even if they have reduced playability.
Capt_Redstorm

Postby Stargorger » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:04 am

Yeah, but that's true with any new type of part. It's ALWAYS more expensive to be creative and make something you've never made before. But once it's crankin' out of the factory...costs go down in volume.

I've already drawn up a design that I think would work, and I'll work on making a clay model of it this weekend, take some photos and see what you guys think. I really think it's a lot easier than you think it is. I think the reason Lego hasn't done it yet is for the same reason they've gone more into BURPs...they're getting lazy.

Yeah, I like the designs of the Atlantis heads, except for two things. One, they're HUGE, and hard to fit inside a ship. Two, they're just masks. So it feels like a wierd helmet, not a head.
MM aliens were terrible. The alien commander was a big step up, but not enough to save them.
LOM aliens were the best so far, IMO, because they actually feel like another RACE, an actual alternative to minifigs, not just an animal of two parts or a human with a painted face.

I get REALLY sick of all the humanoid aliens. ESPECIALLY in Star Wars or Star Trek. For crying out loud, have some imagination Lucas! (I guess that's being a bit fecitious...) but still. If you've seen District 9, you know that an alien can be human-sized and similarly endowed and yet infinitely more alien than Grand Admiral Thrawn.
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:27 pm

I feel you are dipping a bit into hersey here. Are your eally saying TLC ought to make a whole new Minifig? The Minifig is the most iconic thing in Lego. Why on earth would they change it, even if only for one line or two. The MM aliens were close to this, but as we all know, an utter failer.

I do agree that Star Trek/Star Wars/Stargate(Not so much here...) aliens do seem a bit "human"

Admiral Netsooj

PreviousNext

Return to Space.