New Theme: Alien Conquest

All things space. Also things not space.

Re: New Theme: Alien Conquest

Postby Capt_Redstorm » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:40 am

Admiral Netsooj wrote:I feel you are dipping a bit into hersey here. Are your eally saying TLC ought to make a whole new Minifig? The Minifig is the most iconic thing in Lego. Why on earth would they change it, even if only for one line or two. The MM aliens were close to this, but as we all know, an utter failer.

I do agree that Star Trek/Star Wars/Stargate(Not so much here...) aliens do seem a bit "human"

Writers and designers make human looking aliens, because I think being humans, we're familiar with the form. Maybe that's laziness or lack of imagination, but we only have our own species and the plant and animals on this planet, to draw inspiration from. The aliens in the Alien movies are bipeds and have the basic human features; head, two arms, two legs.

As for the aliens in the Trek universe, this was explained in the TNG episode "The Chase," as to why Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans, etc., all look so similar to humans. Again, you could call this laziness on the part of the writers. Whether aliens (if any exist) should or could look like us or like creepy, repulsive creatures from the Half-Life video games, is another discussion entirely and getting OT on what this thread is about. Which may or may not be substantially my fault. :p
Capt_Redstorm

Postby Stargorger » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:53 am

@Admiral

Not sure what on earth you're talking about with heresay...You mean Heresy? Like, as in blasphemy?
In that case lol. How is it heresy to suggest that Lego be INVENTIVE? For crying out loud they've used the exact same building techniques for the last what, over thirty years! It's time for some innovation instead of just more BURPs and orange heads.

Ok in all honesty I love Lego. I love the minifigs. I would never suggest replacing them.

All I'm saying is that just for once, I'd like them to come out with a line that has aliens/monsters that have bodies that work as replacement for the normal minifig body. As much as I love the little dudes, it's doesn't feel like another race/species to me if it's just 2 pieces or just a mis-colored minifig. It feels like a creature (not an intelligent race) or a mutant.

Yes, all we have to go off are what we have here. And yes, the aliens from Alien and from District 9 are humanoid-ish in shape. But their PHYSIOLOGY is decidedly INHUMAN. Their joints, torso makeup, head shapes, digits, etc... are all inhuman. They're more like insects I guess.

I guess I'm not sure how on earth you guys could have anything against my suggestion...isn't the point of Legos creativity and innovation? Or did I miss something? I'm not trying to be fecitious, but I feel like you're just trying to beat a good idea down.
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:28 pm

Perhaps I got a bit carried away. I was in a very excited-type mood last night, and I might have over (Or under) thought my response. Also, I guess I spelt heresy wrong. Must be eating to much chocolate...

Minifigs, as far as I am concerned can't be changes, and still have a minifig. Having different peices to use as bodies might actaully be quite cool. But one thing still sticks to me. Lego is supposed to be completly compatable (That is why pieces like the macaroni brick were changed), so having new torso or legs or heads, would make more Lego like sense if they were compatable with the excisting minifig parts. Also, I am not sure why you are complaining about having the hands and arms removed. The minifig hand is actually a very useful piece.

Really, I think it all comes down to compatibility, and maybe tradition. I still can't see TLC messing with the Minifig. Too costly, and it would be (to me at least) throwing 30 years of history out of the window
The first theory of Ketchup: With enough Ketchup, everything tastes the same.

Admiral Netsooj

Postby Bluetron » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:43 pm

I don't think Stargorger was suggesting that the tradtional minifig be replaced, just that an alien-type figure should be made in addition to the mainstream minifig. I personally don't think that's such a bad idea, so long as it's done right. Indeed, if you look at the history of Lego from the late 70s to today you see all sorts of alternate figures that existed without threatening the minifig as the official standard -- Fabuland, Classic Space robots, Battle Droids, Yoda-type "dwarf" minfigs, LOM aliens, Jack Stone, MM Aliens, Power Miners rock monsters, and Woody from Toy Story to name a few. In fact, I'd like to see some giant aliens based on the Woody-type body myself, that would be cool.

As long as the traditional minifig remains the unchallenged standard, I'm pretty much okay with the idea of alternate "alien" figures.
Bluetron

Postby Stargorger » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:45 pm

Bluetron wrote:I don't think Stargorger was suggesting that the tradtional minifig be replaced, just that an alien-type figure should be made in addition to the mainstream minifig. I personally don't think that's such a bad idea, so long as it's done right. Indeed, if you look at the history of Lego from the late 70s to today you see all sorts of alternate figures that existed without threatening the minifig as the official standard -- Fabuland, Classic Space robots, Battle Droids, Yoda-type "dwarf" minfigs, LOM aliens, Jack Stone, MM Aliens, Power Miners rock monsters, and Woody from Toy Story to name a few. In fact, I'd like to see some giant aliens based on the Woody-type body myself, that would be cool.

As long as the traditional minifig remains the unchallenged standard, I'm pretty much okay with the idea of alternate "alien" figures.

Yeah! Bluetron is right.
Im not in any way suggesting that they replace the normal minifig...sorry if it came across that way. No I just mean like, ok for example. This new Alien Conquest line. I think they should have made new MOLDED alien minifigs instead of just minifigs with wierd heads. And they could do it for at least two 'seasons' so as to get a good number of those alien bodies (so they dont cost an arm and a leg to buy). Theyd have all the same articulation points as a minifig (I wasnt complaining about the hands...I was complaining about the LACK of them in other aliens...I LOVE the hand pieces! I want more! Just a different shape, ya know?) and would be able to fit in all the same spaces, connect at the same spots, etc... theyd just be shaped differently.
Yesterday my brother and I used some artists miniatures clay and sculpted-out a mock-up. Ill post some pictures during the week sometime so you can see what Im suggesting.
Stargorger

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:23 pm

Ah, I see what you are getting at now. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part.

Admiral Netsooj

Postby Stargorger » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:10 pm

Admiral Netsooj wrote:Ah, I see what you are getting at now. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part.

Oh its fine. I knew you werent being a jerk or anything, this is just something Im fairly passionate about, thats all.
Sorry for the confusion on my part!

Another thing that I think would go well towards expanding the Space line...especially in tandem with other-molded minifigs...
Alien City. Theres tons of 'civilian' structures for humans and minifigs in general, but so far theres been a distinct lack of alien housing/structures/etc...except for a radar tower or command center here and there. But nothing to suggest a civilization. Id love to see some Martian Science Lab or something...and one thats a building, not a spaceship.
Stargorger

Postby Alyosha » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:13 am

This photo is from FBTB's coverage of Toy Fair 2011 in New York. Check out the neat little blaster!

I will admit that the pictures from Toy Fair look better than the originally-posted promotional pictures. The mobile HQ, especially, reminds me of the excellent Agents theme. Not all of these will be must-buys--especially since there is so much good stuff in Castle and the PotC line--but I look forward to picking up a couple of these sets.
Alyosha

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:31 pm

First off, I have to say this: TRANS NEON GREEN ANTENEAS ARE BACK!!!

Other then that, I LOVE the aliens. The humans are cool, but as cool as the aliens. But the humans have those blasters, so they get some extra brownie points.

PotC, Castle, Alien Conquest, even the new games! Good thing I have a new job, otherwise I would never be able to get it all!

Admiral Netsooj

Postby Stargorger » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:49 am

Yeah I like the new blasters...I generally dont like the more sculpted-looking guns, but I like the combination of the stuf on the front with a hole, and the fact that the barrel(s) allow for clip attachments. yay! Some ability for integration.

I don't really like the new aliens heads: they would be better, I suppose, if they were all the same sculpt and relied on graphics for distinction.
Stargorger

PreviousNext

Return to Space.