News Feed

All things space. Also things not space.

News Feed

Postby Blackicep8ntball » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:45 am

Hey all you admins and kings and generally big important guys,

I know you're still working on recovering the old site and I'm not trying to overload you... but if you guys are open to it, I propose bringing a news feed here like we had at the old one (if that's possible!). I'd be glad to run it, manage it, whatever needs to be done... I enjoy that stuff. Just a thought.

Brandon
Blackicep8ntball

Re: News Feed

Postby SteveR » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:52 am

I think that's something that we could approximate with an "announcements/spotlighted" forum. We're just going to have to figure out how and who to make all that work. We'll definitely do something like that though.
SteveR
Site Admin

Postby Blake » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:02 pm

I would be happy to help with any coding that may be necessary to bring the site back to normal. I'm a computer science graduate student and I'm quite fluent in php and MySQL. I would even be willing to take on the monumental task of recovering the content from the old forum.
Blake
Site Admin

Postby NemesisGhost » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:35 pm

I will offer my services as well for whatever you may need or want. I an currently applications developer with a lot of programming & database experience, with a little bit of web/PHP.
NemesisGhost

Postby Blackicep8ntball » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:10 am

I agree... if you want to delegate tasks, you've got willing help. I've been looking a bit at the software we're using, and it looks like we should be able to get some sort of image up in the banner area, and even a sort of update scroll for the front page.
Blackicep8ntball

Postby Blake » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:19 am

There are a lot of free templates available from the phpbb website:

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles-2/

I'm sure one of them would be suitable for this site. Then we would just need to change the banner at the top.

Perhaps it would be nice to automatically display photos from the latest MOC announcements somewhere on the page (sort of like an automated news feed)? I set up something along those lines on another forum that I help to run.
Blake
Site Admin

Return to Space.