What exactly constitutes Classic Space?

All things space. Also things not space.

What exactly constitutes Classic Space?

Postby Space Junkie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:31 am

Being 38 years old I remember the original space line, with the naked yellow astronaught with the CS logo tattooed on his chest as well as the White, Black, Blue, and Red. I remember the shift to two tone torsos with a smaller logo, Space Police I, I think. Blacktron II was always my fave. Black torsos and visors. Then came the different factions of space up to and including UFO line, Ice Planet 2002, and Exploriens. The space line went dead for awhile. Mars brought it back, yet they did not have the same flavor. Then they reinvented the Mars line with non-poseable enemies - huge mistake! Now for Space Police III. It seems to have the same flavor of the space sets of old with a modern twist. So would the Space Police III fall into a "classic space" category, or would they would be grouped in with the newer (Mars) space sets. I get the feeling that Classic Space ended with the Space Police II line, and Spirius and around that same time, or am I mistaken. Is Classic Space a feeling, a method of building, a color scheme, or an emotional attachment to a nostalgic period of our lives represented in ABS plastic. Thanks.

Stu
Space Junkie

Re: What exactly constitutes Classic Space?

Postby SteveR » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:48 am

Is Classic Space a feeling, a method of building, a color scheme, or an emotional attachment to a nostalgic period of our lives represented in ABS plastic.

Yes. :space: :csmini:
SteveR
Site Admin

Postby Space Junkie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:56 am

So, if Space Police III instills a feeling of Classic Spaceyness in me, is that enough...
Space Junkie

Postby SteveR » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:07 pm

Some would say "classic space" is only the original solid color minifig space sets. Technically that's correct, though Lego never used the term. I think most would loosely lump Futuron, Space Police and Blacktron in there as well. For me, as long as it's space, it's win.
SteveR
Site Admin

Postby Space Junkie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:12 pm

Here Here! I really enjoyed Chris Giddens Pre-Classic Space stuff too. Right now Space Police III is my modern fave, even over Star Wars (other than the new Slave I that is). I have always been a space fan. Its feels good to be on boards again.
Space Junkie

Postby myserieden » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:33 pm

you can google "classic space flickr" the pics up their were posted here most of the time if not all ways. it'll give you an idea of what's accepted here.
myserieden

Postby Stargorger » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:41 am

There ya go. I mean in my mind, classic space is anything that falls in that theme, not neccesarily that timeline. I mean there have been Martian ships posted here, which technically didn't exist in the 'era' of classic space... but I at least still love to see them!
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Postby mdilthey » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:13 am

I call Ice Planet and Robotron classic space as well, it's the same "Set" if you will, of pieces. Feels like the same grab bag, it separates from later stuff like, i guess, Time Cruisers and the original Star Wars based on the piece selection.
mdilthey

Postby Stargorger » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:08 pm

Agreed. A coulpe defining factors for me on whether something constitutes 'classic space':
1. The majority of the characters are normal minifigs (IE, not Martians)
2. Their weapons are the same couple pieces with different additions (thinking mainly the bullhorn here)
3. The sets are modular to an extent and share common color schemes, at least among races
4. Builds follow the general pattern of mothership/base -- big flyer/vehicle -- fighter/encounter -- robot/explorer -- fig

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but that's generally what I look for when trying to determine how well a new space line fits-in with the others.
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Postby BobaFett2 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:49 pm

I can give you a few different ways to define:
1. No named characters, all similar (UFO and Insectoids fall out here)
2. Small amounts of printed parts (UFO, Insectoids fall out)
3. Not a lot of background story (Exploriens and Insectoids fall out here I think)
4. Simple ships (Most themes fall out)

I'd say that Classic Space is constituted by what is known as Classic Space (which is not the real name, it was fan applied), Futuron, Blacktron, Space Police I, M-Tron

Then there's a sorta Second-Classic Space: M-Tron (yes, twice), Space Police II, Blacktron II, Ice Planet 2002, Spyrius

Then there's the rest, which is good but different somehow: Unitron, Spyrius, UFO, Insectoids, Exploriens, Roboforce

Of course this is just my opinion.
Image Image Image
BobaFett2

Next

Return to Space.