2011 City Spaceport Sets

All things space. Also things not space.

Re: 2011 City Spaceport Sets

Postby Bluetron » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:20 pm

Stargorger: I feel your pain with regards to part changes, which seem to have been happening an awful lot in the past 5-10 years. I think we've all felt the pain of having "special purpose" parts that sit in a bin unused, such as BURPs. Personally, as much as I'm looking forward to the upcoming 7984 Deep Sea Raider (see above), I'm almost positive that the big drill piece will end up in my "Misc." bag along with some of my more pre-fab and Bionicle-related parts. Of course, all those clear yellow windshields will more than make up for it. ;)

But yeah, I kind of wish Lego would use fewer gimmicky parts that are difficult to re-use effectively. I understand the need to draw in action-oriented kids, though. To be fair, the Creator and City sets seem to have more traditional part selections, and Creator sets have alternate instructions, so that's a step in the right direction.
Bluetron

Postby Stargorger » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:36 pm

Yeah, very true. I understand WHY they do it...and its not like Id ever abandon Lego for it, it just makes me sad, ya know?

Case in point: those buzz-saw pieces from the Power Miners sets. What the hey am I supposed to do with THOSE?
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Postby Capt_Redstorm » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:54 am

Stargorger wrote:Yeah, very true. I understand WHY they do it...and its not like Id ever abandon Lego for it, it just makes me sad, ya know?

Case in point: those buzz-saw pieces from the Power Miners sets. What the hey am I supposed to do with THOSE?

Create giant buzz saws for mechs. Or on some kind of crazy starfighter. I'll admit, I don't own any though.
Capt_Redstorm

Postby Stargorger » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:17 am

Capt_Redstorm wrote:
Stargorger wrote:Yeah, very true. I understand WHY they do it...and its not like Id ever abandon Lego for it, it just makes me sad, ya know?

Create giant buzz saws for mechs. Or on some kind of crazy starfighter. I'll admit, I don't own any though.

Ah, so you were the wiser man than I! Oh well. I liked the wheels, what can I say?
Stargorger

Postby Capt_Redstorm » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:56 pm

Stargorger wrote:
Capt_Redstorm wrote:

Ah, so you were the wiser man than I! Oh well. I liked the wheels, what can I say?

Haha, I'm not that wise, really. Probably. But yeah, the wheels are cool. Good for SHIP engines or maybe some kind of generator or column.
Capt_Redstorm

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:29 pm

Stargorger wrote:Case in point: those buzz-saw pieces from the Power Miners sets. What the hey am I supposed to do with THOSE?

Build a Power Miner creation with lots of saws?
The first theory of Ketchup: With enough Ketchup, everything tastes the same.

Admiral Netsooj

Postby Stargorger » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:32 am

Admiral Netsooj wrote:
Stargorger wrote:Case in point: those buzz-saw pieces from the Power Miners sets. What the hey am I supposed to do with THOSE?

Yeah...but I don't really like Power Miners...I mean what ELSE can I use them for beside saws?
Stargorger

Postby Capt_Redstorm » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:11 pm

Stargorger wrote:
Admiral Netsooj wrote:

Yeah...but I don't really like Power Miners...I mean what ELSE can I use them for beside saws?

Eyes in a goofy mosaic???
Capt_Redstorm

Postby BobaFett2 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:47 pm

Bluetron wrote:Thanks for pointing that out, Spacie. This is the kind of thing that TLG's Design Lab does that kind of drives me crazy. First they add the square tab to the front of that canopy piece, and now apparently they've changed it (yet again) to a snap bar. I can see how the bar might make hinging easier, but now we're going to end up with new versions of old parts that can't be used in old ways. This kind of screws up reverse compatibility, IMO, and causes the older canopies to become rarer over time. I wish they'd settle on a final version of this part already. :?

It's probably not going to replace it-I suspect that it's just to make for more playability in some places as well as make it more pose-able.
Image Image Image
BobaFett2

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:54 pm

I love the new Space sub theme for city. I've already got the shuttle adventure set, and I'm getting the smaller shuttle.

One question about this set...

Why is there a spaceman? :? Because I am quite sure that those rockets are unmanned. ;)
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

PreviousNext

Return to Space.