Atlantis: Possible Bad News?

All things space. Also things not space.

Atlantis: Possible Bad News?

Postby Bluetron » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:51 am

I was searching around on the official Lego website, and I stumbled on something that might possibly mean bad news for US AFOLs. According to this page, the 7984 Deep Sea Raider and the 7985 Temple of Atlantis "aren't available in the US". So if you, like me, live in the US and you had your heart set on these particular sets, looks like you're out of luck. I hope I'm wrong here, maybe the US release was simply pushed back (?), but I can't seem to find any information that suggests that. According to Brickipedia, 7984 & 7985 "were released in January 2011", and are available in the UK and Australia, but not here.

I also saw an eBay listing for 7984 with a going price of $77.00!

So we get the lame Ninjago series, but no 7984 or 7985? Great, the first sets in 25+ years to have significantly large clear yellow elements and those are precisely the ones we don't get. I can understand if the Atlantis theme isn't selling well in the US, fine, but couldn't these be offered as lego-dot-com exclusives?

I apologize in advance if it turns out that I'm overreacting, I guess I get a little passionate about my hobby. Hopefully somebody else out there who knows more can shed some more light and set me straight on this.
Bluetron

Re: Atlantis: Possible Bad News?

Postby Stargorger » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:14 pm

No that makes sense dude. I dont think youre overreacting. While I cant speak for the accuracy of the assumption, it seems logical given the facts.

That would stink! Love those new pillar pieces too. Maaan!
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Postby Alyosha » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:48 pm

You might try contacting LEGO's Customer Service department. They might be able to confirm if something will come to the U.S.
Alyosha

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:22 pm

Being a Canadian, Most of what happens to the US, happens here, so this news really sucks. I was really looking forward to getting my hands on those new windshields.
The first theory of Ketchup: With enough Ketchup, everything tastes the same.

Admiral Netsooj

Postby Borgador » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:41 pm

Well if it's true, then we'll be paying premium prices on Bricklink for the new Canopies.
Borgador

Postby ted @ndes » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:38 pm

You guys can breath easy. The crew at FBTB hit a toy show in NYC this weekend, and they snagged a picture of both sets. According to their notes, they will be released in August and they listed the prices in USD and CAD.

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 - Atlantis - 7985 City of Atlantis - 15 by fbtb, on Flickr

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 - Atlantis - 7984 Deep Sea Raider - 01 by fbtb, on Flickr
ted @ndes

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:28 pm

Ahhh, I can breathe a sigh of relief.

Then again, there is just so much good stuff coming out this year, I dunno how I am going to get all I want!

Admiral Netsooj

Postby ted @ndes » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:18 am

Then again, there is just so much good stuff coming out this year, I dunno how I am going to get all I want!

That is definitely true. Looking through all of FBTB's pics from that toy show was a bit overwhelming... and probably why TLG is pacing themselves with release of these sets... and of course, can't forget the collectable minifigs :p
ted @ndes

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:37 am

ted @ndes wrote:[That is definitely true. Looking through all of FBTB's pics from that toy show was a bit overwhelming... and probably why TLG is pacing themselves with release of these sets... and of course, can't forget the collectable minifigs :p

I spent nearly two hours pouring over those pics. (Skipped the spongebob junk)

Series 4 Minifgs! I haven't even gotten all of series 3 yet!

Admiral Netsooj

Postby Bluetron » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:49 am

Thanks for the info, Ted! I was pretty sure I was overreacting, so it's good to see an official release date.

Wow, it looks like August is the month to save all your Lego money for! Practically everything comes out then, except the City Space Shuttle which comes out in March. It's good to see that Alien Conquest will have lots of solid blue available, that's a color Lego hasn't really featured in awhile, and those little alien ships that join together are pretty cool. I can definitely say that I'll want a Jet Copter or two, the City Shuttle, a couple of Deep Sea Raiders, and some of the smaller Alien and Spaceport-type sets. So much to buy!

If we're lucky, maybe some of those Alien Conquest parts will show up in Pick-A-Brick...
Bluetron

Return to Space.