MR-401a Supply Transport and MR-401b Patrol Vehicle

My Own Creations. Well, your own creations actually. Completed builds only.

MR-401a Supply Transport and MR-401b Patrol Vehicle

Postby samuelhkhon » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:02 am

Hi everyone, I built two small vehicles recently. I recall that for my first vehicle (MR-301), the clearance of the wheels was not high enough, and taking on board the comments of those who replied (thank you for the feedback), I tried to do something about it.

Below is the MR-401 Supply Transport, and its military variant, the Outpost Patrol Vehicle. My wife thinks that the front of the vehicles are too long and not very "sleek". I kinda agree with her, but I didn't know how to build that section short and still allow the minifig to sit comfortably. Would love to hear your thoughts on how I could make it better. Thanks!

MR-401a Supply Transport

More photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shgt/sets/ ... 760483863/

Mr-401b Outpost Patrol Vehicle

More photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shgt/sets/ ... 760521439/
samuelhkhon

Re: MR-401a Supply Transport and MR-401b Patrol Vehicle

Postby Ninja_Bait » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:56 pm

I like how you used the same frame for each one. The cockpit does look a little spacious, but the nose is fine in my opinion. Have you looked at the work of Peter Reid (http://www.flickr.com/photos/legoloverman/)? He does this stuff exceptionally well.
NEW: I have a flickr account! Check it out!
Ninja_Bait

Postby samuelhkhon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:47 am

Thanks for your reply Ninja Bait. I have looked at Peter Reid's stuff, in fact he's one of my favourite LEGO builders. But the gap between our skills is so great that I can't even figure out what pieces he used, as well as what techniques he used half the time in the MOCs he's built...

Having said that, I may try to do a small spaceship in the Neoclassicspace style, but just a very simple one to begin with.
samuelhkhon

Postby aotus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:17 pm

samuelhkhon wrote:Hi everyone, I built two small vehicles recently. I recall that for my first vehicle (MR-301), the clearance of the wheels was not high enough, and taking on board the comments of those who replied (thank you for the feedback), I tried to do something about it.

You're welcome! Wow, you did something in response to something I said? Really, you shouldn't have. :D

Just to be clear, I really did like that MR-301. I just thought that, for a "moon buggy" that might be making its way across open terrain, the clearance would need to be higher. For a vehicle which stayed on paved roads, it was just fine.

samuelhkhon wrote:Below is the MR-401 Supply Transport, and its military variant, the Outpost Patrol Vehicle. My wife thinks that the front of the vehicles are too long and not very "sleek". I kinda agree with her, but I didn't know how to build that section short and still allow the minifig to sit comfortably. Would love to hear your thoughts on how I could make it better. Thanks!

I think these look good, and I agree that you solved the low-clearance problem. These vehicles look like they could drive over a few rocks. Lots of great little details everywhere. The side door that doubles as a ramp is a cool idea. I like the little overhead display you placed above the driver's head on the hinge brick. Also, on the Supply Transport, I really like the texture of the container. All those tiles give it a nice, utilitarian, corrugated-metal feel.

That being said, my eye is drawn to the fact that this MR-401, unlike your MR-301, is quite tall compared to its height. They look like they could tip over easily when going off-road. I know that you are probably trying to use the Classic Space wheel parts exclusively to keep that old-school feel, but... if you switched to more modern wheels and made six-wide versions of these models, I would like them even better.
aotus

Return to MOC Announcements