PKR Komet

My Own Creations. Well, your own creations actually. Completed builds only.

PKR Komet

Postby ted @ndes » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:43 am

This starfighter was inspired by, and built for, the "Maschinen Krieger" Starfighter contest on flickr.
My inspiration was a mash-up between a Fledermaus and a Nutrocker.

... and it has been awhile since one of my builds has a classic-space vibe, or at least a retro space vibe....

ted @ndes

Re: PKR Komet

Postby _zenn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:03 am

Just seen it on flickr; love the decals you've used. Sticker paper?
Anayway I'm diggin' the tubbing on those engines and nice work on the inside details of the cockpit.
_zenn

Postby ted @ndes » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:09 am

Thanks. How I have been making custom stickers is printing on address lables, and then taping over them with clear tape (packaging tape for a glossy finish and scotch tape for a matte finish). Then I use the small scissors on a Swiss army knife to cut them out. May not be the best way, but the most convenient for me at the moment.
ted @ndes

Postby Ninja_Bait » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:07 pm

ted @ndes wrote: Then I use the small scissors on a Swiss army knife to cut them out.

I do that sometimes, too. Swiss army knives ftw!

But if you're taping over the stickers anyway, you could just use printer paper - or are you cutting the tape to fit as well?
NEW: I have a flickr account! Check it out!
Ninja_Bait

Postby ted @ndes » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:06 pm

I'm not using the tape to stick them onto the model, just as a protective layer/laminate over the printed areas (prior to cutting them out).

The main reason in my mind is to keep the edges from fraying and tearing, especially when cutting and when I try to peel off the wax-paper backing afterwards (those thin "7w" letters would have been a disaster if I didn't). Other reasons are to prevent any smudging, and for added strength in case I mis-position it on the model and I have to take it off and restick/reuse it. Sometimes I also like the surface shine to be similar to the plastic.
ted @ndes

Postby Ninja_Bait » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:45 am

That makes sense. Cool!
NEW: I have a flickr account! Check it out!
Ninja_Bait

Postby QQS » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:53 am

Interesting. Nice use of the windshield. Stickers are nice details. I like the total shape.

Make undercarriage with folding system. I'm not sure about engines, I would make more details.
QQS

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:43 pm

ted @ndes wrote:Thanks. How I have been making custom stickers is printing on address lables, and then taping over them with clear tape (packaging tape for a glossy finish and scotch tape for a matte finish). Then I use the small scissors on a Swiss army knife to cut them out. May not be the best way, but the most convenient for me at the moment.

It's interesting how 'cheap' builders are these days. Be prepared to see some custom stickers by me using this Technique!
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

Return to MOC Announcements