Ship sides help

MOCs in progress here. Also tips, tricks, techniques, theory, things starting with the letter 't' for $200.

Ship sides help

Postby Antimatter » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:25 am

I am working on a large scale space ship (probably over 2 ft long and 9 in high) and was looking for an interesting but piece efficient way to make the sides. I am mainly a castle enthusiast, so i'm using mainly dark gray castle elements and was looking to have a wall a little more interesting than a simple layer of bricks. thanks in advance for tips =D.

My first major space MoC, so any other advice would be great :csmini: :space: :D
Antimatter

Re: Ship sides help

Postby superdave » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:39 am

You could try using plates connected with hinges or Technic parts. If you're feeling adventurous, you could even try using baseplates held in place by bricks/plates around the edges.
superdave

Postby Antimatter » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks =D
Antimatter

Postby nitrobenz » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:28 am

I would actually lean towards those smooth sides you said you would rather avoid. It makes a decent structure, and if you're afraid of it being boring you can intersperse SNOT bricks or clip bricks to put panels, antennas, weapons, etc. on the sides. If you have the parts resources to do both then it comes down to whether you like studs showing or not (I personally prefer minimum studs), another reason I suggest this is my brother was a Castle builder and has a lot more bricks than panels so it would be easier for him to do smooth sides, but your situation could be different.
on a slightly off topic, Do you have an inspirational resource (like a picture)? and frame?
My Flickr galleries: Space and Mechs
nitrobenz

Postby Endigo Vandane » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:34 am

Seeing as you are a Castle fan, I would suggest you use the wall elements available in that theme like:

this or maybe this and of course this one.

And any others you may have.

Have them studs up, or laying on their sides, even inside out. Any windows in the parts can easily be used for windows
or filled up with some minor plate constructions, which could be the base for some greebles.

Good luck whatever you do.
Endigo Vandane

Postby Rook » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 pm

I love classic space stuff but I mainly build SWU. Here's a look at the insides of a few ships I've built. Hopefully that will help. ;)

Basically:

Technics frame, plate sides, and greeble and tile for effects.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

And few shots from a Venator I made.

Image Image Image
Rook

Return to Spacewerks