The beginning of a SHIP: Polaris

MOCs in progress here. Also tips, tricks, techniques, theory, things starting with the letter 't' for $200.

The beginning of a SHIP: Polaris

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:47 pm

After all this talk of a lack of SHIPs, I decided to start my own. So far, I only have a couple of blueprints (Though calling them that is a bit of a stretch...) and a couple of prototypes things for a couple of the details.

Here is what I have so far:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ElephantKnight/Space/Ships/WIPs/Polaris/ship_plans_01.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ElephantKnight/Space/Ships/WIPs/Polaris/ship_plans_02.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ElephantKnight/Space/Ships/WIPs/Polaris/ship_plans_03.jpg

I dunno how clear they are, but they should be enough to convey what I am planning. Colour scheme is going to be that of Blacktron. (Who'd have thunk?)

So, any thoughts?
Last edited by Admiral Netsooj on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The first theory of Ketchup: With enough Ketchup, everything tastes the same.

Admiral Netsooj

Re: The beginning of a SHIP

Postby Stargorger » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:41 pm

Yes.

First: on the first picture, one thing I'd say is that I dont know how you plan to attach the back pods of the weapon locker and other, but that could be hard...especially if you want to get a smooth outer shape. I'd be careful about making sure the edges somehow mesh with the rest of the ship exterior.

Second: On the second drawing you say that's 10 studs long...for the vehicle storage? That's a pretty small vehicle bay. If you're making a SHIP (which, doesnt that mean at least 120 studs?) and want it to be the percentage of the length indicated in the first drawing, it would need to be like 40 studs long.

Thirdly: just an idea...I've never yet seen it done but I always thought it would be cool if someone would make a ship with crawlspaces/alien hiding holes/air ducts between the inner layer and the outer shell. :-)
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:59 pm

Thanks for the reply.

1. I don't know how I am going to detach them either, but I'll think of something. Or I'll get rid of them. It's still in the early stages, so who knows

2. I think what you are reading is 10 studs tall. I wrote high, so maybe that confused you. I plan on having it around 40 actually, but the size will be determined by how much bricks I have.

3. Ducts... That sounds flipping sweet! Might be hard to integrate, but I might come up with something. Might just be removeable panels...

Admiral Netsooj

Postby Stargorger » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:33 am

Admiral Netsooj wrote:Thanks for the reply.

1. I don't know how I am going to detach them either, but I'll think of something. Or I'll get rid of them. It's still in the early stages, so who knows

2. I think what you are reading is 10 studs tall. I wrote high, so maybe that confused you. I plan on having it around 40 actually, but the size will be determined by how much bricks I have.

3. Ducts... That sounds flipping sweet! Might be hard to integrate, but I might come up with something. Might just be removeable panels...

1. Right. Makes sense.
2. Ah. Yeah good point. Alrighty!
3. Yeah I don't know how you'd do it...maybe just studless crawl-holes formed by chains of 1x2x2 plates-w/studs-on-sides? Know what I mean?
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Postby Blake » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:16 am

Although BT2 had the interchangeable cockpits, modularity was really the signature of BTI. Perhaps BT1 colors would be nice?
Blake
Site Admin

Postby spacie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:45 pm

You might want to reconsider the shape you're going for, it just seems a bit too.... blocky... Some more sloped bits would be a nice addition.
Also I believe this might come in handy: linky
spacie

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:18 pm

Blake: Blacktron 1? Not liekly. I have VERY limited trans Yellow, plus only Two B1 figs. Also, by modular, I kind of meant it will be able to be taken abpart for easier transport, not actual splitting off.

spacie: Well, this are really rough plans. I do plan on making it a lot less blocky. the first picture was just a quick doodle while I was at work.

Also, I have decided on a name: Polaris (I give credit to younger brothers.)

Admiral Netsooj

Re: The beginning of a SHIP: Polaris

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:12 pm

Okay, So I got a prototyp engine, plus one of the manouvering thrusters that will sit on the forward section.

Engine prototype
Manouvering thruster

I am not so sure about the engine. Even with three of them, it looks a bit small for the size of SHIP I will have. It can easily be longer, but I would like it to be wider

Any thoughts?

Admiral Netsooj

Postby spacie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:32 am

I'd say make them bigger and longer.
Some other inspiration you might like:
[1]
[2]
[3]
Last edited by spacie on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
spacie

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:01 pm

Those are some inspiring links! I am sure to take a closer look through them, but I'll have to keep in mind my pieces are limited. Thanks again.

Admiral Netsooj

Next

Return to Spacewerks