Kraken SHIP WIP

MOCs in progress here. Also tips, tricks, techniques, theory, things starting with the letter 't' for $200.

Kraken SHIP WIP

Postby PurirideVry » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:43 pm

THis now finished. You can see it here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=318
Last edited by PurirideVry on Sun May 08, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 11 times in total.
PurirideVry

Re: Alien SHIP WIP

Postby Blake » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:38 pm

I like the gray greeblies. In the area above that (where it tapers), I find the gaps between the slopes a bit distracting. There are a number of ways you could hide them:
- Build those panels out of plates, and use wings along the edges.
- Build them out of bricks (on hinges to great the 45 degree angle), and use slopes along the edges.
- Cover the gaps with ribs.
- Use these along the edges of every other panel so that the skinny part covers the gap, like this.
I personally prefer tiled plates or angled bricks, because you don't get the sawtooth effect of stacked slopes.

I think that one more highlight color might be nice. Purple might give it a nice alien look. Although the trans neon green windows do have a nice alien feel, I might also favor a darker color for the windows, since that makes the ship more mysterious.
Blake
Site Admin

Postby PurirideVry » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:22 pm

Thanks Blake for all the great advice. I have been thinking about how to change the sides so they aren't so jagged. I still need to experiment with them. I probably wont add any colors, mostly because black, grey, and trans neon green are easier for me. And I don't have any purple.

One of my biggest issues is wether I should tile everything or not. Even at this point there's a huge amount of stud-age on here.
PurirideVry

Postby Stargorger » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:33 am

PurirideVry wrote:Thanks Blake for all the great advice. I have been thinking about how to change the sides so they aren't so jagged. I still need to experiment with them. I probably wont add any colors, mostly because black, grey, and trans neon green are easier for me. And I don't have any purple.

One of my biggest issues is wether I should tile everything or not. Even at this point there's a huge amount of stud-age on here.

Well, not having made a SHIP before I can't speak for the legitimacy of my suggestions, but I would say that I actually like the SO here, as it makes the black hull look more busy and textured. And yeah, trying to tile that all would take forever.

I actually thin the color scheme's fine the way you've got it, although another darker color could be good too. I really dig the large rectangular shape on the side going to the bridge: makes me think of a Necron ship from Warhammer!
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Postby PurirideVry » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:23 am

Stargorger wrote:I really dig the large rectangular shape on the side going to the bridge: makes me think of a Necron ship from Warhammer!

Ironically that rectangle is going to have a diamond shaped engine section attached to it some how. The grey part in the very first picture gives a pretty good idea of what it might look like.
PurirideVry

Postby Stargorger » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:17 am

PurirideVry wrote:
Stargorger wrote:I really dig the large rectangular shape on the side going to the bridge: makes me think of a Necron ship from Warhammer!

Ironically that rectangle is going to have a diamond shaped engine section attached to it some how. The grey part in the very first picture gives a pretty good idea of what it might look like.

Awww. lol. Oh well. That could be cool too ;-)
Stargorger

Postby PurirideVry » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:15 pm

Update. Check the main post for details.
PurirideVry

Postby Stargorger » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:44 am

PurirideVry wrote:Update. Check the main post for details.

Do you have those on Brickshelf? Flickr doesn't work on my work computer, and during the day is pretty much the only time I check the site. If not that's cool, but, just FYI.
Stargorger

Postby PurirideVry » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:23 am

Stargorger wrote:Do you have those on Brickshelf? Flickr doesn't work on my work computer, and during the day is pretty much the only time I check the site. If not that's cool, but, just FYI.

I don't usually use Brickshelf but I can upload them there anyways. But don't expect any photos for a couple of days I have a robotics competition.
PurirideVry

Postby PurirideVry » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:15 am

For those of you at work with cruel managers who wont let you look at LEGO here's a link to brickshelf AND mocpages!
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/259415
or when public:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=467073
PurirideVry

Next

Return to Spacewerks