Lift for a space base

MOCs in progress here. Also tips, tricks, techniques, theory, things starting with the letter 't' for $200.

Lift for a space base

Postby SpaceManiac » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:05 am

Hello,

I try to create a base on 3 levels, with a lift in order to elevate the vehicles.
It will be animated and controlled with an NXT. I developed the following concept:

The base structure itself is very stabil, (as long there not is too much wind). It stands at home for more than a week and didn't collapsed.

This is the first concept for the lift:
It is still primitive, I have to improve the traction.

For further images, see http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=411532
Last edited by SpaceManiac on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceManiac

Re: Lift for a space base

Postby Space Junkie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:45 am

Quick question, one of the problems I have found with those baseplates is they are very stabel on the ground but as soon as you start to put an kind of weight, i.e. bricks, they don't support very well. How do you plan on supporting the underside of the plates as you onyl have support on the edges. Second question, why did you use what looks to be marlin twine instead of a string similar to the LEGO black string they use. They sell it in hobby shops and even a thicker black sewing thread would probably work. Really good concept though and there is plenty of room on each level. You would probably be better off building the levels out of actual plates so they can be properly supported. Good luck, I look forward to seeing it progress!

Stu
Space Junkie

Postby SpaceManiac » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:45 am

Hello Space Junkie,
Thank you for your question, weight was also a problem I had to solved.
I tried weight tests and the structure supports some aircrafts like 928 on the top. It also supports the weight of the plate forme itself when it is on the top.
In order to consolidate the whole I put a bar of plate on the top, under the base plate, it goes from the front to the back, closer pictures will come soon.

Concerning the twine, it is a quick solution by now for the conception phase. Sure I plan to improve it and it will be more discrete in black.

New pictures of the next versions are coming soon.
To be continued.
SpaceManiac

Postby SpaceDemon » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:05 am

After seeing this idea, i made one of my own but using rack instead of twine. It should in theory be able to lift more weight. Ill try to post some pics when I have them.
There is only one SpaceDemon. Accept no immitations. Demand a genuine SpaceDemon today.
SpaceDemon

Postby Blake » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:19 pm

That's a cool idea. IMO, it might look better if all the support were oriented the same way. A solid Technic frame under the base plates would solve any support issues.
Blake
Site Admin

Postby SpaceManiac » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:47 pm

Hello,

Here are some pictures of the next steps:
For the second version I changed the traction, straightforward: it works good, the motors were powerful enough to level the plate form.

In the meantime I have made the third version of the base:
I relifted the plate form itself:
and used a different traction method with Technic Worm Screw:
but between the 'Technic Gearbox 2 x 4 x 3 & 1/3' and the 'Technic Gear' the tension was to high and it didn't worked: the gear jumped, this was not rigid enough and it didn't leveled the plate form. I will go back to a solution between version 2 and 3.

For more pictures see http://www.flickr.com/photos/51449863@N ... 841285633/

To be continued...
SpaceManiac

Return to Spacewerks