Cargo Standard

MOCs in progress here. Also tips, tricks, techniques, theory, things starting with the letter 't' for $200.

Re: Cargo Standard

Postby Stargorger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:25 pm

I like those, the only thing I see with them is that they have little internal space. Even the bigger one. Unless we were to make a standard for larger cargo? I mean a snub fighter wouldn't fit in one...
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Postby bothanrodian » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:02 pm

Stargorger wrote:I like those, the only thing I see with them is that they have little internal space. Even the bigger one. Unless we were to make a standard for larger cargo? I mean a snub fighter wouldn't fit in one...

A container of any kind that fits a snubfighter would have to be quite large. I've seen a few containers that are big enough, but most are pretty parts intensive. I like Ley's; I think they would be a good standard for a small container.

Here are some other nice ones:
by T. Oechsner (no image)

by Brickeye

by Soren

Cheers,
Nate :space:
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
bothanrodian

Postby mdilthey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:15 am

Re- 4x8 cargos

Yeah, those are pretty sweet. I'd like to see the same functionality and uniformity in a slightly larger unit. I feel like if it was, say, 8x12, it makes small vehicle inclusion possible which opens up the board a ton.
mdilthey

Postby jediknight219 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:46 pm

I was thinking about a spacey version of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermodal_container

The idea is a large shipping container that can be carried by truck, train, ship, or spaceship. Of course it's pretty big for a minifig scale creation. For a microscale creation it could be pretty darn cool.
jediknight219

Postby mdilthey » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:26 pm

mdilthey

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:58 pm

An idea I thought of could be something like this:

A big rectangle that is 6 studs wide, 12 studs long, and exactly 6 studs high (or, one plate level[floor], 4 brick levels, another plate level, and a tiled level on top.) so my cargo standard would be two exact square together, and would (I would think) be very modular. I'll try and build one and take a pic as soon as I can so you get a better idea.

Just a thought.
The first theory of Ketchup: With enough Ketchup, everything tastes the same.

Admiral Netsooj

Postby aotus » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:21 pm

mdilthey wrote:http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=438793

This looks pretty good?

Seconded!
aotus

Postby Professor Whateverly » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks guys.

Stargorger wrote:I like those, the only thing I see with them is that they have little internal space. Even the bigger one. Unless we were to make a standard for larger cargo? I mean a snub fighter wouldn't fit in one...

If by 'the bigger one' you mean the opening on the left, that's actually a Moonbase corridor. Those containers were designed by Chris Giddens (with the technic hole improvement by Stefan Garcia) as a standard to fit through a moonbase corridor. I'll grant you that they have minimal internal space, but unlike some 'containers' they do open and I have actually used them to keep small bits such as technic pins handy on a display.

Along with Chucktainers, Sorentainers (and now the new ones I've seen linked in this thread) the Giddenstainers are an existing standard. There is no need to choose one outside of your current needs. If you need a container to fit a snub fighter, by all means build one and maybe it too will become a standard. Conversely, try building a Sorentainer for instance and then build a fighter that fits (or folds to fit.)

At a certain point a container for something larger might as well be a vehicle of its own. Here's a lovely 'container' for hardsuits.

Peace and packing,

Professor Whateverly
Professor Whateverly

Postby jeffnf » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:39 pm

I kept meaning to post to this thread, but forgot about it until today. Here's some early Moonbase type work which was based on some standard modules. It may give someone some ideas.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=38096
jeffnf

Previous

Return to Spacewerks