SHIP WIP- Prelim Questions

MOCs in progress here. Also tips, tricks, techniques, theory, things starting with the letter 't' for $200.

SHIP WIP- Prelim Questions

Postby mdilthey » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:55 pm

Hi, guys. Doing my first ship this semester if it kills me!

Is this unrealistic? On like a 120 stud scale, crew of like 8?

Picture 6 by MDilthey, on Flickr

Picture 9 by MDilthey, on Flickr

Picture 7 by MDilthey, on Flickr

I would only do it if I figured out a really good technique to get the curves right. I was thinking two things: the new technic curved plates, and/or the use of swivel-hinges, which might look too messy. I could also just do it in rounded rectangles, but tiered. like steps, only less dramatic and with bley between levels.

The way the curves look on Mon Calamari cruisers, it's sweet. I don't mind a smooth hull rather than bumpy, but I would love to use my first SHIP as an opportunity to think outside the boxiness.

If I can get one really big, curved hull piece as the belly of the ship, I know exactly how to get the curves right on the 2-4 levels over or under it, like the first picture. It's just that first shape I have a struggle with...

Thanks for any input or advice!

P.S. The plan is to work in white, tan, and navy blue :)
mdilthey

Re: SHIP WIP- Prelim Questions

Postby mdilthey » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:13 pm

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=85970&in=S

This piece would be amazing if I had about 200.... that's only 100 Polizia sets!
mdilthey

Postby Blackicep8ntball » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Wow man - you're aiming for the sky! I say go for it - 120 stud scale will give you tons of practice on all manner of techniques, from advanced internal structures to cuves to SNOT. The largest scale ship I've done is that entry I just made for FBTB, so I'm not the best person to give tons of advice on this... but, I'm pretty sure you're familiar with Chris Giddon's work over at pre.classic-space.com, and I think some of his larger creations might help with some of your inspiration for curves. He liked to use big parts though, so if you're trying to steer away from that, then maybe his work isn't the best for your situation.

And yeah... save your pennies :-) you'll be keeping bricklink busy.
Blackicep8ntball

Postby mdilthey » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:34 am

Tell me about it. After some preliminary sketching and length-checking, I came up with a bricklink order just to see what the damage was, it's looking like this will cost me about 70 bucks. Considering, that's not too bad. I can probably put in an order like that this fall, maybe around the beginning of october!
mdilthey

Postby Blake » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:53 am

My recent SHIP exploits have made me a firm believer in panels attached to flex hose for making arbitrary curved shapes. Consider this, for example (This shot shows how it's held together).

On the front, the bars between the windows hide the seams between the panels. In top, the seams are covered by these turned sideways (which also creates a nice layering effect).

This project will definitely be a challenge, but given enough time, patience, and tender loving care, I would not call this unrealistic. Even in the worst case scenario (if you are not happy with the results), you will emerge a better builder.
Blake
Site Admin

Postby mdilthey » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:20 pm

That's good advice, and hoses might really open up opportunities with this. I have a pretty good idea which direction I want to take with it, and every time I sit down and look at what i've got so far, I realize it's going to need the hefty investment before it goes anywhere. As it should :D
mdilthey

Postby bothanrodian » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:41 am

I'd suggest using clicky hinges to make the curved shape since you can easily create a combination of snot and studs with them.
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
bothanrodian

Return to Spacewerks