Proposal for Saving the Future of Lego Space! (SatFutoLes)

Idea? Problem? Discuss here.

Re: Proposal for Saving the Future of Lego Space! (SatFutoLe

Postby Stargorger » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:07 pm

Blake wrote:I too would like to see this site return to its former glory. Creating the archive was just the first step. Since there seems to be a lot of demand for a new front page, I can make that the next priority. If other members of the community are willing to help, it would be great. I have all the skills necessary to do it myself, but it will get done a lot sooner if I have help.

I asked SteveR about the missing subforums, and he said that he just wanted to simplify things. He doesn't mind adding more forums if there is demand for them. If the community wants one or more of the old subforums back, just let me know, and I can make it happen.

Anyone who wants to get in touch with me can PM me here. I visit this site at least once a day.

I think that the ability to leave notes on specific details of an MOC is one of the draws of flickr. I've been pondering writing a plugin that would allow our members to leave notes on photos in the forum.

Yes, Id be willing to help. I cant do much technical coding, but I can do background art, articles, fonts, etc...
The old subforums would be good...if its something that can be done easily I say lets go for it. Otherwise Id wait till we get some things like articles back online.

Thats true...and that would be awesome.
See thats another thing: I dont know that trying to compete with Flickr is the best idea...instead of trying to beat it at its own game (which would be hard), we ought to work to make this site important for OTHER things...things that Flickr cant do...like instructions, articles, forums, etc... Make sense?

@Admiral
I agree. Does anyone know off the top of their head names of folks that moved to Flickr? Moreover, does anyone know their Flickr accounts?
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Postby Capt_Redstorm » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:07 am

As far as the front page goes, there used to be links to articles and such, like the moonbase standard. Although that sort of thing can be found in Palmer's stream on Flickr and the Flickr moonbase group and Linus Bohman's Building School app, I think it'd be good to have that kind of content available here as well. Can't think of any of the other articles and such off the top of my head though.
Capt_Redstorm

Postby Stargorger » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:20 am

Capt_Redstorm wrote:As far as the front page goes, there used to be links to articles and such, like the moonbase standard. Although that sort of thing can be found in Palmer's stream on Flickr and the Flickr moonbase group and Linus Bohman's Building School app, I think it'd be good to have that kind of content available here as well. Can't think of any of the other articles and such off the top of my head though.

Yes, I agree.
For me, the two things that really made me visit this site before any other was the forums and the articles. Without the two it's just a copy of what can be done at other sites.
Yes, Moonbase Standard was one article. As was How to Build SHIPS, Building Firearms, Micro-scale Building, and...there were one or two more.
Another thing that I really miss but would like to see updated more when we bring it back is the Factions page. There are two things I love about it: 1. it gives a sense of unity to our MOCs. Now we can build for a faction, a race, a purpose, rather than the other way around. Plus, it lets us share our individual lego worlds, as it were. 2. it allows for connection to other builders' creations. At least for me, I was always more likely to look at an MOC and view it positively if I knew what group or faction it belonged to.
Stargorger

Postby Capt_Redstorm » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:59 pm

Stargorger wrote:
Capt_Redstorm wrote:As far as the front page goes, there used to be links to articles and such, like the moonbase standard. Although that sort of thing can be found in Palmer's stream on Flickr and the Flickr moonbase group and Linus Bohman's Building School app, I think it'd be good to have that kind of content available here as well. Can't think of any of the other articles and such off the top of my head though.

Yes, I agree.
For me, the two things that really made me visit this site before any other was the forums and the articles. Without the two it's just a copy of what can be done at other sites.
Yes, Moonbase Standard was one article. As was How to Build SHIPS, Building Firearms, Micro-scale Building, and...there were one or two more.
Another thing that I really miss but would like to see updated more when we bring it back is the Factions page. There are two things I love about it: 1. it gives a sense of unity to our MOCs. Now we can build for a faction, a race, a purpose, rather than the other way around. Plus, it lets us share our individual lego worlds, as it were. 2. it allows for connection to other builders' creations. At least for me, I was always more likely to look at an MOC and view it positively if I knew what group or faction it belonged to.

Ah yeah, the old factions. I think maybe the most neglected one seems to be Tech West. I should build more for fan factions, instead of TLG ones so often, but Blacktron is pretty easy to do quite often. lol.
Capt_Redstorm

Postby Stargorger » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:03 pm

Capt_Redstorm wrote:
Stargorger wrote:

Yes, I agree.

Ah yeah, the old factions. I think maybe the most neglected one seems to be Tech West. I should build more for fan factions, instead of TLG ones so often, but Blacktron is pretty easy to do quite often. lol.

Yeah one thing Id like to upgrade is to have an established template for writing-up factions, so its easier for others to build in the same theme. You know, like a list of primary and secondary colors used, their build style, a description of their personality, etc...
Stargorger

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:26 pm

Stargorger wrote:Yes, I agree.

Having articles would be a great plus. I would love to see the old articles (plus some new ones) on a frotn page.

A faction page would also need to list the official factions (Blacktron, Classic Space, Ice Planet, Mars Mission, ect..) to make it better. The official factions didn't get enough love at the old forum form my point of view.
The first theory of Ketchup: With enough Ketchup, everything tastes the same.

Admiral Netsooj

Postby Stargorger » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:26 am

Admiral Netsooj wrote:
Stargorger wrote:Yes, I agree.

Having articles would be a great plus. I would love to see the old articles (plus some new ones) on a frotn page.

A faction page would also need to list the official factions (Blacktron, Classic Space, Ice Planet, Mars Mission, ect..) to make it better. The official factions didn't get enough love at the old forum form my point of view.

Definitely. And those would be a good way to get other/young fans involved in the site, by encouraging them to contribute to a legacy of old lines, know what I mean?

I am working on drawing-up a template form right now for them. In the mean time, I'll work on writing-out some mock description templates for the old factions. Ill post them ASAP once I'm done.
Stargorger

Postby Blake » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:45 pm

I sent SteveR an email regarding the articles. I would guess that all that stuff is still on our server, but I'm not sure where exactly. Once I know, resurrecting them should be easy.
Blake
Site Admin

Postby Stargorger » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:50 pm

I can't speak for the other members Blake, but at least I would like to see them re-written and re-formatted. So if you could bring them back at least in text form on the old forums viewing spot, that would be great. That way I (or whoever contributes) can work on altering them for the 'updated version'. Sound good?
Stargorger

Postby Blake » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:52 pm

That's fine by me.
Blake
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestion Box