Proposal for Saving the Future of Lego Space! (SatFutoLes)

Idea? Problem? Discuss here.

Re: Proposal for Saving the Future of Lego Space! (SatFutoLe

Postby Blake » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:34 pm

I heard back from SteveR. He's not sure where the articles were located. I've been poking around on the server to see if I can track them down. In the process of looking, I found the banners from the old site. I took a moment to stick one of them at the top of the page (you may need to hit refresh before it appears).

If anyone has a bookmark to one of the old articles, it please share the link with me. It doesn't matter if the link no longer works--it will still help me figure out where to find the articles.
Blake
Site Admin

Postby Stargorger » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:56 am

Blake wrote:I heard back from SteveR. He's not sure where the articles were located. I've been poking around on the server to see if I can track them down. In the process of looking, I found the banners from the old site. I took a moment to stick one of them at the top of the page (you may need to hit refresh before it appears).

If anyone has a bookmark to one of the old articles, it please share the link with me. It doesn't matter if the link no longer works--it will still help me figure out where to find the articles.

Cool! Yeah I like the top banner...but why doesnt it show when first arriving at the site?

I don't have a bookmark. It was likely www.classic-space.com/front/articles. Not to be fecitious...I don't think the address would help much, it was pretty straightforward.

If I remember correctly though they weren't really HOSTED on the classic-space site...once you got to the articles page, the actual articles themselves were like, off in some sort of wiki docs form or something... it was odd.
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Postby Blake » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:22 am

Stargorger wrote:Cool! Yeah I like the top banner...but why doesnt it show when first arriving at the site?

Your browser still had the old header in cache.

Stargorger wrote:I don't have a bookmark. It was likely front/articles. Not to be fecitious...I don't think the address would help much, it was pretty straightforward.

The problem is that there are about a gazillion directories on the server, and I really have no idea which one contained the articles. I've tried searching for a few obvious terms, to no avail. The old site is no longer in a public web directory, but it is still intact, so if I had a link, I would have some idea about where to look.

I haven't tried a full text search on the old site. Just searching for file names is slow over ftp. I'm downloading the entire site to speed up the process.

It's also possible that the articles were stored in the database. I'm going to look in to that while the old site is downloading.

Stargorger wrote:If I remember correctly though they weren't really HOSTED on the classic-space site...once you got to the articles page, the actual articles themselves were like, off in some sort of wiki docs form or something... it was odd.

That makes things more complicated, but I should still be able to track them down with a full text search of the old site.
Blake
Site Admin

Postby Blake » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:32 am

I found a number of articles in the old forum database. I'm working on a simple script that will make them accessible ASAP. Once that's done I'll think about a long term solution.
Blake
Site Admin

Postby Stargorger » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:51 pm

Blake wrote:I found a number of articles in the old forum database. I'm working on a simple script that will make them accessible ASAP. Once that's done I'll think about a long term solution.

Awesome! yeah as soon as I have the articles Ill start editing and fixing them up.

Ill also be able to get the information from the factions article once you have it to re-work it into the new template.

Thanks again!
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Postby Blake » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:39 pm

The articles are available here:

http://archive.classic-space.com/articles.php
Blake
Site Admin

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:23 pm

when I logged on, I was pleasantly suprised to see the old banner is up. It's really begining to feel like the old forum again.

Nice to see the articles back! I'll have to check them out when my computer is being a little more cooperative.
The first theory of Ketchup: With enough Ketchup, everything tastes the same.

Admiral Netsooj

Postby kepplah » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks for bringing back the space, blake! Could you make it so the main thread display doesn't cover the header when you scroll?
kepplah

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:14 am

Glad to see The forum is muh more readable! Things are even better as the days go by.
The first theory of Ketchup: With enough Ketchup, everything tastes the same.

Admiral Netsooj

Postby Blackicep8ntball » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:33 pm

Blake, the hard work is really paying off. Site looks great.

Since this seems to have become the official "What do you think will bring people back to Classic-Space" page... I initially joined Classic-Space to take part in a contest, and then stuck around because of the content (like the articles). The contest drew me in because I loved the idea of a Space MOC contest that didn't have to be related to Star Wars. Any interest in hosting a "grand re-opening" contest sorta thing?
Blackicep8ntball

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestion Box