The Manticore

My Own Creations. Well, your own creations actually. Completed builds only.

The Manticore

Postby Blake » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:06 pm

The Manticore is my third SHIP. At 180 studs, it is significantly larger than my first two ships. I built the Manticore over an agonizingly long 10 1/2 months.

The Manticore is a heavily-armed orbital death machine with enough firepower to destroy nearly anything produced by humankind. It's main armament is one of the most powerful energy weapons ever produced, colloquially known as the Destructo Beam. The ship also carries two smaller but deadly laser turrets on the roof, a number of smaller turrets, and two fighters.

More photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blake-fost ... 088038574/
http://www.blake-foster.com/project.php?p=45
Blake
Site Admin

Re: The Manticore

Postby thebatman_104 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:31 pm

Insane ship! Love the giant death ray at the front and the over sized gun turrets and bridge really great!
Visit me at:
Flickr
MOCpages
thebatman_104

Postby Alyosha » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:56 pm

Great to see this finished. I think we were almost as eager to see it completed as you were!

I love all the recessed details - it feels like there is something in every nook and cranny. You've also successfully avoided giant box syndrome. The Manticore has lovely curves! While I was admiring the exterior photos, I said to myself, "The guys in the windows are just to give the illusion of an interior - there can't possibly be enough room for a functional interior." I'm thrilled that I was wrong. I'm not sure why the 'playset' features are so necessary, but they sure are purty.

I will say that it feels a bit small for a "death machine", but them is the breaks when making a SHIP in minifig scale. I also question the necessity of the fighters. Although the hanger bay looks awesome, they don't seem to fit the overall design. However, these are just nitpicks. This is a great moc no matter how you slice it.
Alyosha

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Nic to see this beauty of a SHIP finally done! Lots of details to look at, plus an exellent color scheme. which makes this quite an eye catching SHIP.

Great job!
The first theory of Ketchup: With enough Ketchup, everything tastes the same.

Admiral Netsooj

Postby aotus » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:16 am

Let me join the chorus of congratulations. The Manticore was looking awesome from the moment you started it (six months ago, maybe, I forget?), and it does not disappoint in the least! :space:
aotus

Postby Stargorger » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:30 am

I love the globe bridge. Nice design idea! I'd be really interested to see how you came-up with the attachments for all those windows at that angle. Nice!

It reminds me a bit of the ion beam frigates from Homeworld, but as said above the hangars seem a bit out of place for its purpose. Still cool though!
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Postby Blake » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks guys!

I cannot tell a lie--the fighter bays are there because I thought it would be cool to have fighter bays. Practicality was never a real concern. :csmini:

This photo shows how the bridge is held together:

Blake
Site Admin

Postby Stargorger » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:08 pm

Blake wrote:Thanks guys!

I cannot tell a lie--the fighter bays are there because I thought it would be cool to have fighter bays. Practicality was never a real concern. :csmini:

This photo shows how the bridge is held together:

Aaah. Gotcha. Im glad to see that at least one other builder also is willing to use off-colored SNOT bricks on the inside. It gets frustrating trying to keep to only using gray hinges and mounts.
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Postby Blake » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:43 pm

I use whatever color I have in front of me for parts that are not visible. The photo above is just a replica--the actual bridge uses only grey hinges, but only because they are visible from the outside.
Blake
Site Admin

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Hanger bays are impractical? I can see a couple of reasons why hanger bays are practical. Perhaps the SHIP needs some protection other then the giant laser turrets? Or maybe they sometimes need to use a little more finesse in whatever they are destroying.

Then again, hanger bays are just cool. Do we really need a reason?
The first theory of Ketchup: With enough Ketchup, everything tastes the same.

Admiral Netsooj

Next

Return to MOC Announcements