Proposal for Saving the Future of Lego Space! (SatFutoLes)

Idea? Problem? Discuss here.

Re: Proposal for Saving the Future of Lego Space! (SatFutoLe

Postby Stargorger » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:48 pm

Blackicep8ntball wrote:Blake, the hard work is really paying off. Site looks great.

Since this seems to have become the official "What do you think will bring people back to Classic-Space" page... I initially joined Classic-Space to take part in a contest, and then stuck around because of the content (like the articles). The contest drew me in because I loved the idea of a Space MOC contest that didn't have to be related to Star Wars. Any interest in hosting a "grand re-opening" contest sorta thing?

That'd be cool. Is there a particular theme you had in mind?

We're working on the articles as we speak. Trying to figure out where to host them and such.
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Postby Blackicep8ntball » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:04 pm

Honestly, IG's last contest theme - "Put Your Brick Where Your Mouth Is" was really good. I wouldn't mind seeing that again. I'd love to hear other ideas too...
Blackicep8ntball

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:40 pm

A "Grand Re-opening" contest sounds like an interesting idea.

Incedentally, I am planning a second "Color it Blacktron" contest in April.
The first theory of Ketchup: With enough Ketchup, everything tastes the same.

Admiral Netsooj

Postby Stargorger » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:27 am

Admiral Netsooj wrote:A "Grand Re-opening" contest sounds like an interesting idea.

Incedentally, I am planning a second "Color it Blacktron" contest in April.

Agreed. Incidentally...I never did participate much in the contests on the old forums (about the only thing I didnt do, oddly enough). What was the "Put your Brick where your mouth is" contest about?
Stargorger

Postby Blackicep8ntball » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:50 am

In short, the idea was to build a set that Lego could, in theory, create and market, only to do it better than TLG does it. Here's IG's blurb from the contest:

That's right, it's a new contest. The challenge, put your brick where your mouth is. People love to talk about how they could do a better job designing a LEGO set than the folks at LEGO do. So here's the challenge, DO IT! Build a great space set! Mark Stafford, a designer at LEGO, has graciously offered to serve as a judge for this contest, but it is NOT an official LEGO contest. LEGO didn't put me up to this, and they won't be taking any of your ideas and turning them into sets. There will be prizes, though, thanks to Steve Witt. Each size category winner will receive a space set of that size.

Rules:

1. We are using the old standby rule of 10 cents per part. That means that for the $5.00 category, you can use approximately 50 parts.
2. There are separate categories for $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 set equivalents.
3. Custom stickers ARE allowed!
4. Custom parts ARE allowed! Real designers can get new molds, but they cost em. We will be setting up a "what will this cost me" thread, where you can ask how much of your "budget" the custom element will take.
5. All entries must be posted in the entry thread on CSF! That's right here!
6. The deadline is JUNE FIRST.
7. Your entry must be sci-fi. It doesn't have to be a space ship, but if I'd better be able to tell that it's science fiction.
8. No official themes. Mark requested that we try to keep nostalgia out of the factors we're judging on.
Blackicep8ntball

Postby Stargorger » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:26 pm

Blackicep8ntball wrote:In short, the idea was to build a set that Lego could, in theory, create and market, only to do it better than TLG does it. Here's IG's blurb from the contest:

That's right, it's a new contest. The challenge, put your brick where your mouth is. People love to talk about how they could do a better job designing a LEGO set than the folks at LEGO do. So here's the challenge, DO IT! Build a great space set! Mark Stafford, a designer at LEGO, has graciously offered to serve as a judge for this contest, but it is NOT an official LEGO contest. LEGO didn't put me up to this, and they won't be taking any of your ideas and turning them into sets. There will be prizes, though, thanks to Steve Witt. Each size category winner will receive a space set of that size.

Rules:

1. We are using the old standby rule of 10 cents per part. That means that for the $5.00 category, you can use approximately 50 parts.
2. There are separate categories for $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 set equivalents.
3. Custom stickers ARE allowed!
4. Custom parts ARE allowed! Real designers can get new molds, but they cost em. We will be setting up a "what will this cost me" thread, where you can ask how much of your "budget" the custom element will take.
5. All entries must be posted in the entry thread on CSF! That's right here!
6. The deadline is JUNE FIRST.
7. Your entry must be sci-fi. It doesn't have to be a space ship, but if I'd better be able to tell that it's science fiction.
8. No official themes. Mark requested that we try to keep nostalgia out of the factors we're judging on.

Oooooh! That does sound cool. Yeah I'd be all in for that!
Stargorger

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:48 pm

Stargorger wrote:But, what I see is that the young Lego community is nowhere near as vibrant and alive as that a decade ago. And it makes me sad.

I'm a TFOL, and look at me. I can't put down my bricks, whether its space, castle, or city. But you are right, the numbers of fans have dropped greatly. Curse Mega Blox. It's so plainly obvious that they mimicked LEGO almost exactly.Why would someone do such a thing? Why would you try to ruin a toy company? A successful toy company? :space:
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

Postby Stargorger » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:36 am

Sir Michael Le Fanu wrote:
Stargorger wrote:But, what I see is that the young Lego community is nowhere near as vibrant and alive as that a decade ago. And it makes me sad.

I'm a TFOL, and look at me. I can't put down my bricks, whether its space, castle, or city. But you are right, the numbers of fans have dropped greatly. Curse Mega Blox. It's so plainly obvious that they mimicked LEGO almost exactly.Why would someone do such a thing? Why would you try to ruin a toy company? A successful toy company? :space:

Because they're Megabutts. :-)
Stargorger

Postby Blake » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:22 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism :csmini:
Blake
Site Admin

Postby Alyosha » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:03 pm

What's the basis for saying that the LEGO community is less vibrant than it was a decade ago? My impression is that the fan community is thriving. Attendance increases at conventions, we have new conventions in different parts of the U.S. and the world, and the Flickr community is huge, among other things

Also, the LEGO Group has been doing quite well for the last few years, especially following its near-collapse in 03/04. I believe that sales have been up each year. Meanwhile, MEGA Brands bought up Rose Art in 2005 and suffered mightily due to safety recalls in 06 and 07. MEGA lost hundreds of millions in 2008. I wouldn't be surprised if they've recovered some, especially with the Halo license, but I haven't read anything that indicates that they're eating LEGO's lunch.

Potential reading, a 2009 news article on MEGA's losses and LEGO's recovery: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... le1149686/

Please note that I'm not defending bad choices by LEGO, whatever one might think those choices are. I simply don't see that the fan community is diminished, or that LEGO is doing poorly economically.
Alyosha

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestion Box