Dear lego...

All things space. Also things not space.

Re: Dear lego...

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:20 pm

Sir Michael Le Fanu wrote:It's really getting ridiculous. I used to love all of the detail. I even started a collection of printed bricks. But, LEGO has gone cheap, and started producing OUTSIDE of Denmark. To places like China, where everything is made for cheap, yet they are now CHARGING MORE FOR SETS. They also have completely removed printed elements, and replaced them with stickers. What is our world coming to? :( :?

I agree with "Lego has gone cheap" statement. Very much. A lot of stuff these days (Collectable Minifigs, namely) looks so cheap, its disgusting. Charging more for sets I am partly with you. some sets (Especially the liscensed stuff) is priced really high, but some stuff isn't too bad. But I have to point tout that not EVERYTHING is stickered. A lot is, yes, but not all. Our beloved minifigs are still printed, and some parts are as well..

The world is changing. whether for good or for bad, we don't know.
The first theory of Ketchup: With enough Ketchup, everything tastes the same.

Admiral Netsooj

Postby aotus » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:31 pm

Sir Michael Le Fanu wrote:It's really getting ridiculous. I used to love all of the detail. I even started a collection of printed bricks. But, LEGO has gone cheap, and started producing OUTSIDE of Denmark. To places like China, where everything is made for cheap...

Have you seen "Made in China" on the side of a Lego set box yet? I haven't. It would make me cringe, and it would prevent me from buying. I haven't purchased new sets for several years. My son has enough trouble putting away the Lego we already own.

That being said, Lego has produced bricks outside of Denmark for decades. As far back as the 1970's, I'm sure they had a factory in Enfield, Connecticut, in the United States. Recently closed. I believe they also had a factory in Germany at that time.

About ten years ago, I think I saw "Made in the Czech Republic" on a Lego box. That was the first cost-cutting move I saw. And I hoped it would stop before it got to manufacturing in countries with a poisoned environment and near-slave labor. :(
aotus

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:25 pm

aotus wrote:Have you seen "Made in China" on the side of a Lego set box yet? I haven't. It would make me cringe, and it would prevent me from buying. I haven't purchased new sets for several years. My son has enough trouble putting away the Lego we already own.

That being said, Lego has produced bricks outside of Denmark for decades. As far back as the 1970's, I'm sure they had a factory in Enfield, Connecticut, in the United States. Recently closed. I believe they also had a factory in Germany at that time.

About ten years ago, I think I saw "Made in the Czech Republic" on a Lego box. That was the first cost-cutting move I saw. And I hoped it would stop before it got to manufacturing in countries with a poisoned environment and near-slave labor. :(

Actually, yes, I have seen "Made in China" on LEGO. I actually don't mind the fact that LEGO has started producing elsewhere. I just hate the fact that they HAVE started producing LEGO in China. This is what I mean when I say cheap. Manufacturing and Labor is Dirt Cheap in China. Just go to your local Wal-Mart or whatever, take any box of LEGO, and I can almost guarantee that it will say "elements made in ... ... ... and China." It was the biggest dissapointment for me in many years.
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

Previous

Return to Space.