Ocean Planet Home

My Own Creations. Well, your own creations actually. Completed builds only.

Ocean Planet Home

Postby Stargorger » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:33 am

Alrighty so...this is one of my first MOCs to post here on Classic Space, mainly because most of my others online are really old and castle-themed.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=4895576

I'm trying to get a feel for the architecture of a faction I'm working on. Anyway, this is supposed to be a remote cottage/self-sustaining house on an ocean world. The pipe on the side draws oil/natural gas/energy from beneath the sea floor and pipes it inside where it's turned into heat and electricity. Just this one dude lives there at the moment...there's a portal-door on each floor to allow access to the other floors. You spin the crystal knob to the color you want and it takes you to that floor. On the top floor is his bunk, a table with a pc tablet on it, his personal storage, and the controls for the phase-field door. Middle level is a weapons cache, controls for the pipe pump, and atmospheric/weather monitoring. On the bottom level is a garden where he grows his food and the life support systems for it.
I'm still working on adding and smoothing-out details, but it's basically done. There's nothing on the bottom-most level at the moment...my brother suggested I add a bathroom but I don't want another layer of tiles to allow for access.
I realize it's not as smooth or organic looking as others...but honestly I'm not sure what look I WANT, if you know what I mean. So I'm going off "functional" right now.
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Re: Ocean Planet Home

Postby thebatman_104 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:48 pm

Stargorger wrote:I realize it's not as smooth or organic looking as others...but honestly I'm not sure what look I WANT, if you know what I mean. So I'm going off "functional" right now.

That's Ok if it's not smooth blocky can work for buildings, but perhaps have different sized rooms piled on top of each other instead of just a straight tower. It will break up the monotony and make it more visually pleasing. I like the "pipe" idea to extract energy and the big hose but maybe you could have the hose leading to an outcropping on the side of the building that acts as a sort of furnace to convert the raw energy into heat , electricity, etc. that you described. Overall though this is a good start for your theme, which sounds pretty interesting. Great job hope to see more of this theme in the future.
Visit me at:
Flickr
MOCpages
thebatman_104

Postby Stargorger » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:21 pm

thebatman_104 wrote:
Stargorger wrote:I realize it's not as smooth or organic looking as others...but honestly I'm not sure what look I WANT, if you know what I mean. So I'm going off "functional" right now.

That's Ok if it's not smooth blocky can work for buildings, but perhaps have different sized rooms piled on top of each other instead of just a straight tower. It will break up the monotony and make it more visually pleasing. I like the "pipe" idea to extract energy and the big hose but maybe you could have the hose leading to an outcropping on the side of the building that acts as a sort of furnace to convert the raw energy into heat , electricity, etc. that you described. Overall though this is a good start for your theme, which sounds pretty interesting. Great job hope to see more of this theme in the future.

Sweet! Thanks man!

Hmm... hadn't really thought of different sized rooms...that's a good idea...Hmmm...Ill have to work on that.
Oooh! Good idea about the furnace. Ill make it moer like a casing rather than an extension though...maybe it will just plug into the wall...
Stargorger

Postby Stargorger » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:01 am

Stargorger

Postby Nabii » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:45 pm

I love the idea here, this poor guy living in a prefabricated dwelling on a far off waterworld, reminds me of the movie castaway, or some kind of post apocalyptic world (is he Kevin Costner?)! It looks very early on in his stay. I'd like to see a six months on version, maybe the plants have died and he has to fish for all his food? Maybe he's made a boat from an alien crab? Maybe he's gone mad and has burned the place down and all that's left is a skeleton in a ruin!
A really strong idea.
Nabii

Postby Stargorger » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:16 am

Nabii wrote:I love the idea here, this poor guy living in a prefabricated dwelling on a far off waterworld, reminds me of the movie castaway, or some kind of post apocalyptic world (is he Kevin Costner?)! It looks very early on in his stay. I'd like to see a six months on version, maybe the plants have died and he has to fish for all his food? Maybe he's made a boat from an alien crab? Maybe he's gone mad and has burned the place down and all that's left is a skeleton in a ruin!
A really strong idea.

lol! That's an awesome idea! Hmmm... I think I'm going to finish changing the shape a bit first, then I'll start making some "progression" MOCs.

Thanks man!
Stargorger

Postby nitrobenz » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:13 pm

well... my first thought was that it looks like a stack of gray bricks with bits stuck all over the place, But! under closer scrutiny I realized that the aforementioned "bits" actually do look purposeful in most cases and almost greebly in other places. My pointers (if your still taking suggestions) would be change up the white and green stripes to look more intentional instead of happenstance and , recess the greebles into the walls/bring the walls out around the greebles (particularly above the windows), and lastly use one type/shade of window (mostly circle windows/all windows with the same print or color).
...and why is the garden on the bottom? There's usually more sunlight on the top.
My Flickr galleries: Space and Mechs
nitrobenz

Postby Stargorger » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:38 am

nitrobenz wrote:well... my first thought was that it looks like a stack of gray bricks with bits stuck all over the place, But! under closer scrutiny I realized that the aforementioned "bits" actually do look purposeful in most cases and almost greebly in other places. My pointers (if your still taking suggestions) would be change up the white and green stripes to look more intentional instead of happenstance and , recess the greebles into the walls/bring the walls out around the greebles (particularly above the windows), and lastly use one type/shade of window (mostly circle windows/all windows with the same print or color).
...and why is the garden on the bottom? There's usually more sunlight on the top.

Well...I suppose I should be thankful that you DID take a second look...

As to the stripes: yes, I've removed the white stripe alltogether and moved the green one up a bit.
As to recessing: I'll try it, but I didn't have much luck with it on my ship...for some reason I can't seem to find a good shape that will fit the greebles I want to put in.
lol yeah, I know. It's about resources man. That's the only big round clear one I have, besides some orange Mars Mission ones, which clash with the green. As to the panel windows, yes I changed the blue ones to be dark gray, so that should help.

Mainly because I like the idea of a cave garden, and I wanted to reserve the top level for the landing pad...maybe he's paranoid monsters will come up to eat him? I dunno. lol
Stargorger

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Stargorger wrote:Alrighty so...this is one of my first MOCs to post here on Classic Space, mainly because most of my others online are really old and castle-themed.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=4895576

I'm trying to get a feel for the architecture of a faction I'm working on. Anyway, this is supposed to be a remote cottage/self-sustaining house on an ocean world. The pipe on the side draws oil/natural gas/energy from beneath the sea floor and pipes it inside where it's turned into heat and electricity. Just this one dude lives there at the moment...there's a portal-door on each floor to allow access to the other floors. You spin the crystal knob to the color you want and it takes you to that floor. On the top floor is his bunk, a table with a pc tablet on it, his personal storage, and the controls for the phase-field door. Middle level is a weapons cache, controls for the pipe pump, and atmospheric/weather monitoring. On the bottom level is a garden where he grows his food and the life support systems for it.
I'm still working on adding and smoothing-out details, but it's basically done. There's nothing on the bottom-most level at the moment...my brother suggested I add a bathroom but I don't want another layer of tiles to allow for access.
I realize it's not as smooth or organic looking as others...but honestly I'm not sure what look I WANT, if you know what I mean. So I'm going off "functional" right now.

Decent....
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

Return to MOC Announcements