Help with curved wall

MOCs in progress here. Also tips, tricks, techniques, theory, things starting with the letter 't' for $200.

Help with curved wall

Postby Stargorger » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:31 am

Ok so I need some suggestions and, hopefully, some links to existing builds:

I'm trying to get a nice organic rounded hull shape. If you look at my ship MOC, the envoy that I posted a while ago, you'll know what I mean...except I would like it smoother, if possible (IE, without having to use extra plates to cover gaps), and without having to use such a huge array of joints, SNOT bricks, and hinges to get them at the angle I want. I mean, some is fine, but not as many as I used. lol

So, any suggestions? I'm actually trying to build a house, not a ship, if that helps. But I want it to be roughly in the shape of a horseshoe crab shell.
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Re: Help with curved wall

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:41 pm

Tough luck from me, sorry. I usually am a square builder. I dont think I have very many round parts.
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:55 pm

I am almost positive that something liek this could be found on Brickshelf, but I am too lazy to search for it myself. I think it would be worth trying.

Also, I think Classic-Castle woudl have something like this, seeing as you are looking to build a building, and Classic-Castle is full of buildings.
The first theory of Ketchup: With enough Ketchup, everything tastes the same.

Admiral Netsooj

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Admiral Netsooj wrote:I am almost positive that something liek this could be found on Brickshelf, but I am too lazy to search for it myself. I think it would be worth trying.

Also, I think Classic-Castle woudl have something like this, seeing as you are looking to build a building, and Classic-Castle is full of buildings.

Ah, yes, the Classic Castle is a fantastic place to look- I highly recommend it for your situation and to get your castle fill.
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

Postby Stargorger » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:29 am

Yeah I looked there...they have how to build a curved flat wall, but I'm looking to build like a dome...preferably without using a ton of layered 2x2s
Stargorger

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:02 pm

Ei Corumba. Okay, that, my friend is going to be pretty hard. Do you have slanted parts? Actually, post a pic of a dome that is like the one you want to build. Then I could help.
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

Postby Stargorger » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:49 am

Sir Michael Le Fanu wrote:Ei Corumba. Okay, that, my friend is going to be pretty hard. Do you have slanted parts? Actually, post a pic of a dome that is like the one you want to build. Then I could help.

http://www.freewebs.com/vagara/Kragenmo ... enshot.JPG
House to the right of the stairs. I want to make my alien houses look like Redoran buildings from Morrowind.
Stargorger

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:06 pm

Stargorger wrote:
Sir Michael Le Fanu wrote:Ei Corumba. Okay, that, my friend is going to be pretty hard. Do you have slanted parts? Actually, post a pic of a dome that is like the one you want to build. Then I could help.

House to the right of the stairs. I want to make my alien houses look like Redoran buildings from Morrowind.

I reccomend slanted parts. Unless you are looking for an exact color, because a lot of colors are not available in a slant. Otherwise, I could suggest those parts that are 2x1 and have a face that is either 2x2 or 2x1. The face pivots 95 degrees. That is probably your best bet. I hope you can understand what I just said!
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

Postby Stargorger » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:28 am

Sir Michael Le Fanu wrote:
Stargorger wrote:

I reccomend slanted parts. Unless you are looking for an exact color, because a lot of colors are not available in a slant. Otherwise, I could suggest those parts that are 2x1 and have a face that is either 2x2 or 2x1. The face pivots 95 degrees. That is probably your best bet. I hope you can understand what I just said!

Eh, I THINK you mean the 2x2 and 2x3 slopes, correct?
Or do you mean plates? Bricks or plates?

If it's plates...well, that's what I did for my envoy ship and it's REALLY hard to get a smooth outer shell without having a ton of internal supports...which would render the inside of the building unusable.
If it's bricks...I suppose...I could...hmm...maybe Ill have to sit down with Lego Digital Designer and try out some designs...
Would I do the wall sections at angles to each other, or...?
Stargorger

Postby Rook » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:15 pm

I'm sure they figured it our since this was asked a YEAR ago! O.o
Rook

Next

Return to Spacewerks