UFO (saucer)

MOCs in progress here. Also tips, tricks, techniques, theory, things starting with the letter 't' for $200.

UFO (saucer)

Postby marin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:31 am

Hi guys!

I've been trying to build something in the Space genre for a long time, but so far it hasn't worked.

Recently I've started a medium sized project and I got stuck. I'm thinking of quitting and going back to building wheeled vehicles.
And this is where you kick in!
I need you to tell me if this thing's got enough potential for me to push it through.

So the idea is that when turning the middle engine/turbine - the landing gear goes down. There would also be a ramp and I was thinking of a fully functional interior.

So, what's the verdict?
In the sorting bin or should I continue building this thing?

Thanks in advance!
Image Image Image
marin

Re: UFO (saucer)

Postby _zenn » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:49 am

Wow, I'm amazed of the size. :csmini: Nice work on the greebling detail. I think you should continue. Add some lights, weapons, tractor beam, cow abductee.
_zenn

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:29 pm

Good greif... So this is your first space MOC? Man, I need some fast improvement.
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

Postby JangoSnake » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Wow! This is really great! I have always wanted to build retractable landing gear, without using hinges, but I've never been able to. This, finished, with an interior and the all-important boarding ramp, will far surpass any of my attempts. The one thing I'm unsure about is how the windscreen in the center is raised slightly in some pics, I think, that unless this is yet another cool function, it should be kept lowered. REALLY looking forward to seeing a finished product.
JangoSnake

Postby marin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:42 am

Hi, thanks for the positive response.

The middle dome will be low, these are just some "info" pictures. It'll probably have some antennas/radars that'll rotate in the opposite direction of the middle engine/turbine.
There'll be no weaponry as the crew will be on a diplomatic/scouting mission. (The only weapons will be sidearms of the guards.)
The tractor beam is a nice idea though and I might make it in the place of that middle engine/turbine.
The black ring has 99% chances to get covered in greebles.
Image Image Image
marin

Postby PurirideVry » Thu May 05, 2011 10:24 pm

I saw this on flickr before, but I have to say this is really awesome! What's more it's inspired me to try some sort of landing gear on my SHIP Kraken. Though I doubt it'll be as ingenious as this. Keep it up!
PurirideVry

Postby nitrobenz » Fri May 06, 2011 4:09 am

definitely continue! And please keep us apprised of the process, this landing gear is super original, I'd love to see the "how to".
My Flickr galleries: Space and Mechs
nitrobenz

Postby marin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:26 pm

Hi guys, here's some more progress:

Some more wipping by Marin Stipkovic, on Flickr

Lower 2/3 by Marin Stipkovic, on Flickr

Spacy interior by Marin Stipkovic, on Flickr

And a video of the landing gear: http://www.flickr.com/photos/marinstipkovic/5836213046/

Lemme now what you think. Thanks. :)
Image Image Image
marin

Postby _zenn » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:00 pm

Great work! And it's even working!

Maybe if you change the gear ratio, it will go somewhat faster.
_zenn

Postby marin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:58 am

Thanks, I knew that and this is actually the improved version, but as I've read your comment I looked at the mechanism and realized I could make it about 45% faster with more gears that would take less space. Hmn... Thanks, I just might do that. :csmini:
Image Image Image
marin

Next

Return to Spacewerks