Help! SHIP Framing and Ordering

MOCs in progress here. Also tips, tricks, techniques, theory, things starting with the letter 't' for $200.

Help! SHIP Framing and Ordering

Postby mdilthey » Tue May 24, 2011 1:01 pm

It's the summer of SHIP! I'm going for it. I can build very large ships using a white color base and dark bley greebling, and I love the way bright colors pop off of white, so that's my chosen color setup. As to the ordering part of this query, how do you SHIP Builders estimate what to buy on bricklink? Is it worth my time building one section and doing a piece count?

I don't want to give away a lot of my design ideas, but essentially, I'm going to be building with walls rather than plates, like builder42's Valley Forge.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yoderism/3228990250/

So if I build a plate-and-technic frame, do I want to attach this to the outer shell by a series of points? For instance, I have an outer rectangular shell, and inside, I have beams that meet both walls and a center beam for support. This seems to cut down the potential for interior, but I don't know how much tensile strength walls have after 100 studs.

Since this is a first SHIP, i'm going with exactly 100 studs, or close to it. Wish me luck..... :D Thanks for any help.
mdilthey

Re: Help! SHIP Framing and Ordering

Postby Borgador » Tue May 24, 2011 3:29 pm

Good luck!
Borgador

Postby Ninja_Bait » Tue May 24, 2011 4:32 pm

I don't have any experience with technic frames, but I do know that as long as the walls are reasonably solid (ie, not held together in the middle by a single connection) then they should be reasonably sturdy. I've built a few SHIPs where there's just a pair of continuous walls and a plate floor and roof. It's not very swooshable but it won't disintegrate either.

Also, don't forget the bathroom!
NEW: I have a flickr account! Check it out!
Ninja_Bait

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Wed May 25, 2011 1:27 am

Good luck, hope to see the finished product soon!
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

Postby Rook » Fri May 27, 2011 4:20 pm

I've built several +100 stud ships if you have any general questions. I also did a very basic tutorial 3 years ago, here:

http://www.thecabg.net/t207p165-lego-ar ... s-101#8641
Rook

Postby mdilthey » Sat May 28, 2011 8:53 am

Thanks for the response!

@Rook, thanks for the link and the advice. Well recieved

@Everyone, thanks for the good luck!

My progress so far:

I've decided on a color theme, and traded some SW figs to FBTB user schlectus for white walls, dark grey modified bricks for greebs, and many other assorted goodies. My color theme is going to be white and tan, with bley greebling, to give it an old school space shuttle vibe. it's going to look very spacer-colony and beat up, and it's DEFINITELY going to have an external repair bay, which not a lot of SHIP's have. Progress should begin in the next 2 weeks!

I hope this isn't specific enough that it spoils my new SHIP, but one of the white sections is going to be connected to greebs front and back, and instead of walls on the side, I'll have opening panels. This obviously lends itself to structural instability.

Because the only connection in that section will be the roof and floor, I figure I'll take technic bricks in a plethora, plate them, and put them in the floor and the cieling. So I'll have a "strut" in the top and bottom that runs length of the ship.

Sound stable?
mdilthey

Postby mdilthey » Sat May 28, 2011 10:56 am

Hey Rook, did you do the alphabet fighter project on Eurobricks?

If so, these are beyond fantastic! I love the G-wing!
mdilthey

Postby Ninja_Bait » Sat May 28, 2011 2:31 pm

Sounds like fun. I think the two struts should be pretty effective. Can't wait to see some pictures!
NEW: I have a flickr account! Check it out!
Ninja_Bait

Postby Stargorger » Tue May 31, 2011 7:37 am

I agree! I look forward to seeing it. I tried a technic frame on a ship (not SHIP) a while back and couldn't get a form that was both strong and SNOT enough. So, I need more pratice. but good luck!
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger

Postby bothanrodian » Tue May 31, 2011 11:51 am

This sounds cool! If you have to bricklink parts, I suggest building your vision rainbow style first, that way, you can see what you need for each section beforehand. It sounds like you've got the frame down, which is great! The guy who built the valley forge (Mike Yoder) also has a lot of great breakdown pics of frames in his photostream. Like this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yoderism/3 ... hotostream

Good luck!

-Nate
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
bothanrodian

Next

Return to Spacewerks