Lego's Unnessary Re-Tooling (A Rant)

All things space. Also things not space.

Re: Lego's Unnessary Re-Tooling (A Rant)

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:36 pm

Sir Michael Le Fanu wrote:But doesn't this newer part come in black? I'm pretty sure I've seen a few in black.


Oh it does, or ratehr, it used to. For awhile it was in black, but a few years back it was changed to red.
The first theory of Ketchup: With enough Ketchup, everything tastes the same.

Image
User avatar
Admiral Netsooj
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:08 pm
Location: Canada!

Re: They did it again...

Postby Draykov » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:26 pm

brickmack wrote:I kinda like the new version of this part. The thing I think is annoying is that LEGO just released a new version of it last year.


I speculate (and hope) that these newer parts are meant to co-exist rather than replacing one another in such rapid succession. Another example of this can be found in another windscreen:

Windscreen 5 x 6 x 2 Curved (new in 2008)
Image

Windscreen 5 x 6 x 2 Curved Top Canopy with 4 Studs and Handle (new in 2011)
Image
Hail Space!
Image
User avatar
Draykov
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:50 am

Re: Lego's Unnessary Re-Tooling (A Rant)

Postby Bluetron » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:35 am

@Draykov:

I think those canopies are meant to co-exist too. I have both the 7639 City Camper and the 7984 Deep Sea Raider, and those parts have completely different outlines. The bevels on the DS Raider canopy are meant to align with 2x2x1 roof bricks, where the camper roof does not. The camper roof is wider in front as well.

Speaking of more part changes, both my 7984 DS Raider and 7050 Alien Defender have what appears to be a "Type 3" minifig head. It's a fairly minor change, but a little puzzling from an engineering standpoint. From about 1978-1990, minifigs had the old school "solid stud" head:
Image
Then, right about the time of M:Tron, they switched to the "ventilated head":
Image

This is the version we've had for awhile, the one with the vent hole split three ways. I remember wondering why this change was made back in the day, and I think it has something to do with "suction". When you put a round post into a round hole, the air in the hole needs some place to go. With the older solid stud MF heads, the air could only escape from the neck hole itself, which could sometimes make it harder take the head off the neck or put it back on. With the ventilated heads, the air can go in and out of the vent, preventing suction and allowing for better tolerance. This is also why the 1x1x1 round brick has a hole in the top of it, whereas the 1x1x1 regular brick does not. A square hole doesn't need ventilation, since the peg is round and the air can get in and out through the corners.

So imagine my puzzlement when I saw the latest MF head. Apparently, the Design Lab has decided to keep the esthetic look of the hole, but the lose the functionality of the vent?

I don't get it. :? At least the ridge on the 1x1x1 mini cone made sense.
User avatar
Bluetron
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:05 am

Re: Lego's Unnessary Re-Tooling (A Rant)

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:32 pm

Bluetron wrote:"Type 3" minifig head.

What the Deuce?! VERY Unnessecary. And as innexpensive as possible. And guess what? We'll be charged a little more for the sets. Redonkulous.
Blacktron, here I come!
User avatar
Sir Michael Le Fanu
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:36 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Lego's Unnessary Re-Tooling (A Rant)

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:00 pm

I have noticed this too. I am still wondering what the purpose of it is.
The first theory of Ketchup: With enough Ketchup, everything tastes the same.

Image
User avatar
Admiral Netsooj
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:08 pm
Location: Canada!

Re: Lego's Unnessary Re-Tooling (A Rant)

Postby MTronHeroKodiak » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:54 am

Bluetron wrote:@Draykov:

ISpeaking of more part changes, both my 7984 DS Raider and 7050 Alien Defender have what appears to be a "Type 3" minifig head. It's a fairly minor change, but a little puzzling from an engineering standpoint. From about 1978-1990, minifigs had the old school "solid stud" head:
Image
Then, right about the time of M:Tron, they switched to the "ventilated head":
Image

This is the version we've had for awhile, the one with the vent hole split three ways. I remember wondering why this change was made back in the day, and I think it has something to do with "suction". When you put a round post into a round hole, the air in the hole needs some place to go. With the older solid stud MF heads, the air could only escape from the neck hole itself, which could sometimes make it harder take the head off the neck or put it back on. With the ventilated heads, the air can go in and out of the vent, preventing suction and allowing for better tolerance. I don't get it. :? At least the ridge on the 1x1x1 mini cone made sense.


I read somewhere the hole in the head was to help prevent kids from choking on it. Not for sure however, as I once choked on a 1x1 grey round.

If iIcome across that article I will post it.
Only a M:Tron can fix something that isn't broke!
MTronHeroKodiak
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:14 pm
Location: United States

Re: Lego's Unnessary Re-Tooling (A Rant)

Postby Rook » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Found another one! Lego spring loaded missile pissed me off this week.

So everyone I'm sure has noticed that there are several of these. Different missile heads different groove widths on the side etc. Well I found that there are different trigger heights! I had built 2 of these into a MOC and left triggers hanging out. Well was quiet notable sticking out where I could work with it and the other… NOT so MUCH! $^%* You Lego! Stop retooling everything! Grrrr! Ok rant over.

Random image from internet for reference.
Image
Rook
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:42 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Lego's Unnessary Re-Tooling (A Rant)

Postby Bluetron » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:08 pm

MTronHeroKodiak wrote:
I read somewhere the hole in the head was to help prevent kids from choking on it.


I remember reading that explanation too, and I think it was even part of an official Lego Group Q&A, but I kind of have to call B***S*** on it. I'm not saying you're wrong about that quote, I'm just saying that maybe the person the quote came from didn't have their facts correct. The vents in those heads make too much sense as an engineering innovation to be explained as a safety precaution. What if a kid swallows the MF head sideways? The vent would do no good in that instance.

When I was a kid, I remember the Type 1 solid stud heads were either too tight or too loose - I'd go to take a space helmet off, and the whole head would come off. I think half of those old heads were made looser so the air could get in and out of the neck hole, and that's why you had that problem. With the Type 2s, I never remember having any problem with the heads coming off when I didn't want them to. I think that's because the vents allowed for the neck hole to be tighter, since the air could go out the top.
User avatar
Bluetron
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:05 am

Re: Lego's Unnessary Re-Tooling (A Rant)

Postby Stargorger » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:03 pm

My little brother's friend once got one of the newer 'viking helmet horn' pieces stuck...in his ear...and had to go to the hospital to get it out.

His explanation? "I was putting my head to the floor to look for a piece and it just got sucked-in!"
"Re-go no kaijuu wa hoshi kara yo"
"Los monstruos de los Legos de las estrellas!"
"Lego monsters from the stars!"
Stargorger
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:30 pm
Location: *currently devouring the Gardens of Kadesh*

Re: Lego's Unnessary Re-Tooling (A Rant)

Postby Ninja_Bait » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:14 pm

Stargorger wrote:My little brother's friend once got one of the newer 'viking helmet horn' pieces stuck...in his ear...and had to go to the hospital to get it out.

His explanation? "I was putting my head to the floor to look for a piece and it just got sucked-in!"


lol!
NEW: I have a flickr account! Check it out!
User avatar
Ninja_Bait
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:39 am
Location: The Cooper Union

PreviousNext

Return to Space.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest

cron