Tips on storage techniques?

MOCs in progress here. Also tips, tricks, techniques, theory, things starting with the letter 't' for $200.

Tips on storage techniques?

Postby thebatman_104 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:45 pm

Hey everyone I'm looking to upgrade my current storage system from a few plastic bins to something more divided. I've looked at wal-mart and shopko for those things with multiple drawers in them usually used for crafts or hardware wal-mart had one but it was too small and shopko had nothing. I also looked at the tackle boxes but nothing seemed like it would work any ideas on where to get some good storage?

Thanks

P.S. I wasn't sure where to post this but since "tips" and "techniques" are both in the title I think it will be ok
Visit me at:
Flickr
MOCpages
thebatman_104

Re: Tips on storage techniques?

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:56 pm

Well, Wal-Mart is definitely your best option. Check back in the isle next time you go, and if you can't find what you want, ask a worker or go to Canadian Tire (if you are Canadian), Lowe's, or Home Hardware. You might be able to find something you have in mind there.
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

Postby ted @ndes » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:03 am

I just went through the exact same thing (checked Lowe's, WalMart, Target, etc. too). I had been mainly using clear, zip-lock plastic bags, and needed an upgrade. At first I had gotten a few small tackle boxes, but they get to be a pain after awhile (with things spilling over into other areas). I had been looking for something decent with drawers, but came up empty too...

My wife suggested checking out the local "Michael's Crafts" store. We found these nifty cases by "Iris" that are supposed to be used for storing photos (was near the "scrap booking" area of the store). The picture below shows a box that holds 12 cases that snap shut, but they also have one that holds 16 (plus they priced the 16 case box the same as the 12 case... oops :o ). Michael's also has their storage containers on sale at 40% off though the weekend, which was an added bonus ... and of course, if you keep the small cases outside the carrying box, you can use that huge box itself to store large parts if you wanted to.

ted @ndes

Postby thebatman_104 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:02 am

Thanks for all the suggestions I actually found what I was looking for at Menard's it is a 48 drawer storage center and includes dividers only $20 bucks each not too bad since one with 16 drawers was $25 at target. Now its time for sorting HOORAY!

Visit me at:
Flickr
MOCpages
thebatman_104

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:16 pm

thebatman_104 wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions I actually found what I was looking for at Menard's it is a 48 drawer storage center and includes dividers only $20 bucks each not too bad since one with 16 drawers was $25 at target. Now its time for sorting HOORAY!

I had a set like that, but the drawers kept falling out and spilling everywhere. Hope it doesn't happen to you!
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

Postby unitron6991 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:53 pm

I have been pretty happy with six drawer IRIS stackers from Office depot.
Given:
All the world's a stage and we are merely players.
Then:
Where was the dress rehearsal???
unitron6991

Postby Skull Thuggery » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:22 pm

Just want you guys to know, you can all feel free to store your bricks at my house. >:x
Skull Thuggery

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:53 pm

For free?
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

Postby Ninja_Bait » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:41 am

I use big IKEA bins to sort most of my bricks by color and then two drawer sets like that from the Container Store for technic bits and greebles.
NEW: I have a flickr account! Check it out!
Ninja_Bait

Return to Spacewerks