Put Your Brick Where Your Mouth is TWO

Contests of Skill

Re: Put Your Brick Where Your Mouth is TWO

Postby Inquisitor General » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:05 pm

Mark and I have spoken, and we've decided to extend the contest by a month. Right now, we have more categories than entries!

Because we don't think it's entirely fair to you who've gotten something in already, Mark has offered to send each of you a minifig pack. He says he'll try to find something spacey. You're all winners in our hearts!
-Dan
Main Admin
Inquisitor General
Site Admin

Postby pasukaru76 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:19 pm

Thanks for the contest extension!

I give you the CGU Scimitar.

CGU Scimitar

CGU Scimitar (Underside)

Surprisingly, the Scimitar weighs only 108g. I double checked my scale because I couldn't believe it at first.
Technically this would mean the $7.99 category. However, I used a lot of big (technic) pieces, so probably a set like this
would cost more. I'll let the judges decide on the category...

A straightforward upside-down and technic connections build, I don't think I used any illegal techniques. Very
limited SNOT work in the back of the center section. The main gun would probably not survive a 7-year-old, but the
rest is quite solid. Not many play features, though I do have four of those ever-popular flick missiles.
pasukaru76

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:22 pm

Wow that's cool. Good luck!
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

Postby Stardusty » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:59 pm

Are we allowed to create professional looking box-arts?
(like LEGO does it)

What I mean is:
"Box" from upper left angles showing: front, left and upper side with main pictrue, data about the MOC, 1:1 picture of minifigure
and other stuff.
"Box" from down right corner showing: back, right and lower side of the box with all the stuff that should be there.

Is that going to help our entry?

This one sounded a bit narcissistic, or selfish at least, but hey, we all want to win. I'm not an exception.

How many pictures are we allowed to post?

Stardusty :space:
Stardusty

Postby eti » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Okay, that's cool. Are we allowed to make multiple entries?
Oh, and if we're not allowed to post as many pictures as I did, I will take out a few. I don't think the rules state a maximum.
eti

Postby Inquisitor General » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:14 pm

You're welcome to put as many pics as you want online, but please only post a couple in this thread. We're quite willing to follow a link back to your gallery on flickr, brickshelf, etc.

Photoshopping box art will do nothing to improve your chances, but you're welcome to do it.
-Dan
Main Admin
Inquisitor General
Site Admin

Postby ForestFeller » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:07 pm

I'm on of the people who entered before to contest was extended, so that means I'll be getting a minifig pack. Yay! :P Will you be emailing us for adresses to mail them to? Or you could just send a Flickr mail, doesn't matter to me.
ForestFeller

Postby eti » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:29 am

Okay, I will remove a few of the pictures and add a link to the Flickr set, then.
eti

Postby Strange Animal » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi Here are my builds on moc pages

http://www.mocpages.com/mocs.php?id=80891

There is currently 2 out but more will come. Including some steampunk action

The first or Oruk
Weighs: 163 grams
It has 2 minifigs

The second or Sam
Weighs: 146 grams
It also has to minifigs

hope you like :)
Strange Animal

Postby Grandpappy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:47 pm

Thanks for the extension!

Here's Barracuda's Revenge:

It weighs in at 460 grams, which puts in somewhere between the $30 and $60 playsets in the contest. Since it's got some big pieces, and three of the spring loaded Lego shooters, and a light-up brick, I'd probably lean more towards $45 - $50, but that's totally up to the judges to categorize.

Both vehicles are pretty sturdy, and would survive a 7 year old pretty well. The Barracuda's Speeder (the dark green one) would survive a little better than the Lancer, since it's a much sturdier build and does not rely on any joints. They have some neat play features to boot. The speeder fires three (3!) of the rubber lego missiles when you pull back the engine, and the Lancer's afterburner turns on when you push the little lever on top.

If you check out my flickr set, http://www.flickr.com/photos/grandpappy/sets/72157627628076588/with/6128719193/, it's got a few more pictures, and a video of the play features!

Happy building, guys!
Grandpappy

PreviousNext

Return to Thunderdome