Brick Cleaning Tips

MOCs in progress here. Also tips, tricks, techniques, theory, things starting with the letter 't' for $200.

Brick Cleaning Tips

Postby thebatman_104 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:59 pm

Does anyone have tips for cleaning light colored bricks all of mine are very dirty since most are over ten years old. White is what really needs to be cleaned but my other light colors could use it too. Thoughts?
Visit me at:
Flickr
MOCpages
thebatman_104

Re: Brick Cleaning Tips

Postby Borgador » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:19 pm

For just plain dirty bricks a mesh laundry bag loaded with Lego and run through the dish washer works great.

For discolored white bricks I've heard soaking them in Hydrogen Peroxide works. I haven't tried it though.
Borgador

Postby MTronHeroKodiak » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:36 pm

Dishwasher does work. But no heated dry and try to lower your water temp if possible.
Go to bricklink.com on the forums, there is a great amount of people who know how to clean lego, but be sure to get multiple answers, sometimes some people have odd and bad suggestions.

Don't know about the discoloration, havent had to deal with it to much
Only a M:Tron can fix something that isn't broke!
MTronHeroKodiak

Postby thebatman_104 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:37 am

The dish washer Idea sounds great only one problem...I don't have one :?
Visit me at:
Flickr
MOCpages
thebatman_104

Postby MTronHeroKodiak » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:56 am

I think I've heard people using a washing machine but that can be brutal on the legos I am sure. The only other way is soaking in a deep sink with warm water and soap. Maybe using a washcloth to swish them around. I wash some legos by hand with a toothbrush (mainly baseplates). Long and tedious. Good luck.

Do you have a friend or family member with a dishwasher? or a neighbor?
Only a M:Tron can fix something that isn't broke!
MTronHeroKodiak

Postby jeffnf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:11 am

I know I'm late on this thread, but...

I've hand washed Lego in the bathtub before. Lots of (warm, not hot) water and some dish washing soap works well. Rinse them well to get all the soap off. The only danger here is the possibility of bricks going down the drain, so be cautious there. When i did this I had a tub with a stopper in the drain. I just used my hands to move all the bricks to the back of the tub then only opened up the stopper a small bit.

For drying, I just spread them out on towels and rolled the pieces around every few hours to get as much water out of them as possible. They dry best in the winter when the humidity inside the house is low.
jeffnf

Return to Spacewerks