Review of set 6933 Spectral Starguider

All things space. Also things not space.

Review of set 6933 Spectral Starguider

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:27 pm

So, having acquired a near-mint copy of 6933 Spectral Starguider, (And for only $27 US, I might add) I decided I ought to go and review it, seeing as my blog (uncooperative as it is) could use some posting, and having a near perfect copy of it was just too good an opportunity to pass up. (Warning, picture heavy post ahead)

To start things off, the box:

Front. Note the lack of all the usual info that adorns all sets these days. doesn't even say the amount of pieces (204, has it written on one of the sides)

Rear, with just a bunch of interesting alternate models shown. Gosh, I miss those days...

With the flap open. Here we see the plastic tray, along with shots of the model and all the main play features.

Instructions and the cataloug (Yes, it was that near-mint-esque)
Front is the exact same as the box, so nothing really new to report here. the Rear, on the other hand, is typical of back then, when intructions were made to tell you how to build the set, not to advertise the rest of the theme.

The cataloug cover, though the only part most of us would be interested in is this page. Nevermind the page of M-tron and Space Police 2 before it.

Anyways, on the the actual set!

All 204 parts layed out. We see that there is much Black, a smattering of white and trans neon-grean, with a bit of grey to break it all up.

Nothing really special about the figs, other then these two particular ones are very shiny :D . set probably could have easily accommodated a third, but two works quite well.

The first part of the build, the cockpit. Almost exactly the same as the ones from the Ariel Intruder, with the minor difference of the big dish on top, and the small engines on the side. When connected to the next bit of the build, we end up with This nifty little ship. And when we add it on to the last section of the build, we end up with the final product:

Final thoughts:

Well, as Blacktron sets go, this one ranks third on my favorites list (Behind Alpha Centuari Outpost and Ariel Intruder. Also, this list is of only sets I own, so only the Invader of the Blacktorn 1 sets are on it)

I break it all down as this:

Parts: 8/10 Selection isn't great, with it being mostly 6 large wheels that take up a lot of space, but even so, almost all of it is useful to some extent
Playability 9.5/10 This is easily the make-or-break part of my review. I just LOVE Driving this set on the table, on the floor, or even in the dirt (Those pictures are of my other copy of this set, taken last year, before I acquired this nice shiny one)
Design: 8.5/10 I feel it is a little weak here, seeing as it is mostly a ship on a chassis with 6 wheels and a little platform on the back.
Figs: 9/10 How can you say two Blacktrons are not awesome? would have gotten a full ten if there had been a third, but even back then TLC had some limits.
Nostalgia: 9.5/10 When I first got this set back in 06 or 07, I wasn't particularly fond of it, but over the years, I have found this set to be amazing.

Overall score is 44.5/50, or 8.9. That rates as very good in my books.

One last parting shot, of all the goods.

Hope you enjoyed my first proper review of a space set!
The first theory of Ketchup: With enough Ketchup, everything tastes the same.

Admiral Netsooj

Re: Review of set 6933 Spectral Starguider

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:39 pm

Dang, why wasnt I born back then?!
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:59 pm

In all fairness, this set came out the same year I did. Nothing (exept maybe funds) is stopping you form ordering your own copy off of Bricklink!

Admiral Netsooj

Postby MTronHeroKodiak » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:03 pm

on your blog you mentioned something about rolling the starguider in the sand, can you elaborate on this for us?
As I never really took my legos out of the comfort of their room, I did once and it ended in tragedy. This of course is when I was like 11 or something

:oops:
Only a M:Tron can fix something that isn't broke!
MTronHeroKodiak

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:35 pm

Admiral Netsooj wrote:In all fairness, this set came out the same year I did. Nothing (exept maybe funds) is stopping you form ordering your own copy off of Bricklink!
Maybe I'll pick up some Blacktron soon then. And some other Space goodies too.
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:20 pm

MTronHeroKodiak wrote:on your blog you mentioned something about rolling the starguider in the sand, can you elaborate on this for us?
As I never really took my legos out of the comfort of their room, I did once and it ended in tragedy. This of course is when I was like 11 or something

:oops:

Elaborate? Sure.

A couple years ago, when going on a vacation with family, I brought, amoung other bits, Spectral Starguider. After biking around a bit, I found a spot along a river where there was some very nice sand. So I took my Spectral starguider, drove it around a bit, took a bunch of Pictures, and the rest is history. Course, the pieces that allow the front 2 pairs of wheels to bounce a bit don't work quite as well as they once did, but whatever, I have 2 now!

Admiral Netsooj

Return to Space.