Idea for discussing cuusoo projects

Idea? Problem? Discuss here.

Idea for discussing cuusoo projects

Postby whitesidewjw » Sat May 26, 2012 10:26 pm

What if there was a separate discussion category for cuusoo posts that are classic space related? I understand that these are being viewed by many as spam. It is also serving as a catalyst for getting ideas out there. It has recently gotten me involved in both posting my concepts as well as commenting on others ideas. I have been on the sidelines since 99 avidly checking a multitude of Lego sites like brick link.com and lug net.com. I think it could bring out a lot more involvement from those like myself who would love the chance to get some more classic space like sets made. If anything it's just another way to share more ideas. It's also a fun way to compliment each others ideas. :csmini:
whitesidewjw

Re: Idea for discussing cuusoo projects

Postby TheQ » Sun May 27, 2012 8:24 am

I think that the largest problem with CUUSOO projects is that they are "products" that someone is trying to sell. If you announce a new CUUSOO project, it is first and foremost a "product", than a MOC. And because this forum is aimed for sharing your LEGO creations, not sharing your LEGO products, CUUSOO projects in my mind don't really work well. I think Eurobricks guidelines said my thoughts were well:

CUUSOO: If you have a great MOC, that is also a CUUSOO project, you may present it on EB as you would any MOC, with a single link to the CUUSOO entry. Make the title about the MOC, not the CUUSOO business; don't be too shouty, and it is likely to be tolerated. You need to be thinking: 'I want people on EB to see my MOC and comment on it. If they like it, perhaps they'll support it on CUUSOO', rather than: 'I want CUUSOO support! If I post it on EB, perhaps more people will vote!'.

Regarding the separate discussion category that Whatsidewjw mentioned, I don't really see the point. Whether or not you are mentioning about CUUSOO in your post, you are still showcasing us your MOC and there is already very good place, i.e. "MOC Announcements", to post a thread about it.
-Q
Palikkatakomo admin, LAML.org webadmin, LEGO Ambassador 09/10
[Flickr] - [Brickshelf]
TheQ

Postby whitesidewjw » Sun May 27, 2012 8:46 pm

I agree with you on the eurobricks guidelines, however, the idea of CUUSOO is to get your MOC to lego and maybe make it a product. The point of having a separate thread would be to consolidate CUUSOO projects that pertain to classic space. I could see not allowing a town, anime or even star wars concepts here because its off topic.

As far as a CUUSOO post pushing a product, no one is going to get rich off CUUSOO. 1 % of TLG's revenue from sales from maybe a few thousand sets produced won't add up to an incredible sum of money. We all visit this site for one reason, that is because we love classic space and space themed sets. This is our chance to maybe have a say in what it could be and focus support amongst each other. If lego were to produce a classic space like set, we all win. Everything I have supported on CUUSOO I would purchase in a heart-beat. Anyway, i have said my part- I will be posting a few more MOCs in the next 25 hours- none of the CUUSOO material. :D
whitesidewjw

Postby Blake » Tue May 29, 2012 10:56 pm

I think that there's a healthy middle ground to be found here, but I'm not sure exactly where it is yet. On one hand, we don't want the forum used as free advertising space for members who never return. On the other hand, I'm not against contributing members posting occasional links to Lego CUUSOO projects.

Some other possibilities:
    - Put a "Lego CUUSOO" field in user profiles, with no restrictions.
    - Create a subforum for Lego CUUSOO, and require a minimum number of posts and/or moderator permission before users can post there.

Both of these ideas would be simple to implement.

I'll let this discussion continue for a bit before I do anything.
Blake
Site Admin

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Wed May 30, 2012 12:15 am

I am with you on the post minimum and Administrator permissions. It would definitely benefit us to have the subforum. Also, users could put a link and photo into their signature rather than make a topic with (likely) the exact same information that is on their Cuusoo Project page.
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

Postby wally9000 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:38 am

I haven't been around long enough for my voice to mean much, but for what it's worth, I'm with TheQ. I don't see what value having Cuusoo projects separate form MOCs would be. Unless the cuusoo = spam issue would keep users from posting MOCs that have a Cuusoo page, but that doesn't seem like it would be a real problem.

If the idea is to specifically promote Cuusoo projects with classic space feel, maybe Admins could curate a "best of" thread.
wally9000

Postby Ninja_Bait » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:25 am

I know that if I ever posted a Cuusoo project, I'd ask everyone here for support. I think it's fair to give everyone else the same privilege, whether or not they are frequent visitors.

I like the EB guidelines, but I don't like the overbearing administrative rules. If a new member (or any member) posted something that was too close to spam, it would be right to tell that member to change the post, but I don't think it's very nice or welcoming to prevent that post. Cuusoo is an awesome idea, and I think it is bringing more MOCs and builders into the internet limelight. If that brings more people here, great! We can show them that the FOL community is more than just Cuusoo. However, if we turn them away immediately, they'll never start spending time here with us.

And we're so lonely...
NEW: I have a flickr account! Check it out!
Ninja_Bait

Return to Suggestion Box