Technic frame WIP

MOCs in progress here. Also tips, tricks, techniques, theory, things starting with the letter 't' for $200.

Technic frame WIP

Postby Professor Whateverly » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:30 pm

Here's a little something I whipped up to support a space station in progress. This is scalable and perhaps useful for other ends. Enjoy.

Peace and frames of reference, Professor Whateverly
Professor Whateverly

Re: Technic frame WIP

Postby Admiral Netsooj » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:26 pm

A complicated peice of Technic you have there. I doubt I have enough Technic (Well, with those Biniocles, maybe I do) to do this myself, but I should keep it in mind in case I ever need something like this.
The first theory of Ketchup: With enough Ketchup, everything tastes the same.

Admiral Netsooj

Postby Sir Michael Le Fanu » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:14 pm

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA!
I love it when people use large amounts of technic.
Last edited by Sir Michael Le Fanu on Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blacktron, here I come!
Sir Michael Le Fanu

Postby paulbhartzog » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:28 pm

In the original discussion in Washington DC that resulted in the Moonbase Standards, one of the first ideas to come up was the idea of a modular space station with a spinal tunnel as an anchor for the modules that people would build. It was Jon Palmer's suggestion to move that idea from space (I mean how would you display it?) down onto baseplates and use the connector standard as for hallways.

I have always wondered if some kind of space station or even space module tower could be built using a standard.

What about having a standard height for the second, third, etc. levels of moonbase builds so they could be connected at higher levels using bridges?

Or, build a tower support structure like you have here, and attach modules of a standard size (not too heavy) to the connecting hallways leading to the central shaft, which could be built as an atrium or elevator or some such. In fact, if the tower's central column were a standard then people could build their own center and they could be "stacked" into a tower.

just sayin' .... ;-)

Nice work, Ley! I love technic frames.
paulbhartzog

Postby nitrobenz » Fri May 06, 2011 4:45 am

you just kick started my thinker, now I really want to build something big...
My Flickr galleries: Space and Mechs
nitrobenz

Postby Iain » Sun May 08, 2011 9:09 pm

This is brilliant Ley, you've done it again. Presumptuously, I started a thread in the Brickfete forum on a very similar idea.

"Since I will be coordinating the space/sci-fi display at Brickfete, I thought it would be more impressive if we incorporated our mocs into a real sci-fi diorama, rather than a static display of spacecraft and ground vehicles laid out on various tables. I do know there will be an awesome powered classic-space display which may be up to 1/4 acre in size at the event. So I had the idea of a rotating space ring capable of docking about 6 large ships. Thoughts? Interest? Absolutely ridiculous? Discuss..."

The thread has garnished the most replies on the forum to date. We concluded that docking large SHIPs was not feasable, so docking would be done by smaller shuttles. Flickr user Si-Mocs and I tried to come up with a standard but have had little success.
And with that you now see where we epically failed. Did we consult with you Ley? No. NO! So where does that leave us? Wondering if you're bringing this beauty to Brickfete.
:D
Iain

Postby paulbhartzog » Mon May 09, 2011 11:27 am

Iain wrote:This is brilliant Ley, you've done it again. Presumptuously, I started a thread in the Brickfete forum on a very similar idea.

"Since I will be coordinating the space/sci-fi display at Brickfete, I thought it would be more impressive if we incorporated our mocs into a real sci-fi diorama, rather than a static display of spacecraft and ground vehicles laid out on various tables. I do know there will be an awesome powered classic-space display which may be up to 1/4 acre in size at the event. So I had the idea of a rotating space ring capable of docking about 6 large ships. Thoughts? Interest? Absolutely ridiculous? Discuss..."

The thread has garnished the most replies on the forum to date. We concluded that docking large SHIPs was not feasable, so docking would be done by smaller shuttles. Flickr user Si-Mocs and I tried to come up with a standard but have had little success.
And with that you now see where we epically failed. Did we consult with you Ley? No. NO! So where does that leave us? Wondering if you're bringing this beauty to Brickfete.
:D

URL of the thread?
paulbhartzog

Postby Iain » Tue May 10, 2011 10:33 am

http://brickfete.com/topic?id=87

You'll have to register to read it if you're already haven't.
Iain

Return to Spacewerks