Make sure this fits
by entering your model number.
The Sun Joe Mow Joe uses a powerful, 12 amp, electric motor to quickly and efficiently mow your lawn, maximum extension cord length is 100 feet
Easy push button start; no messy oils or gasoline and no load speed (rpm)is 3500
Three-position height adjustment up to 2-2/5 inches and size of yard is 1/4 acre or less ; Detachable grass catcher for easy disposal of grass clippings
Compact design is easy to maneuver and takes up less storage space, rear wheel size is 5.5 inches
Hard-top grass catcher detaches easily for convenient disposal, 14 gauge minimum rated extension cord
GREAT IN TIGHT SPACES! Responding to the need for an easy-to-use electric mower for smaller lawns, Sun Joe developed the Mow Joe MJ401E. Compact and lightweight (only 29 lbs), the Mow Joe MJ401E is a lean, mean and green mowing machine that gets your yard chore done without polluting the atmosphere with toxic carbon emissions. Mow Joe starts instantly with the simple push of a button and its rugged all-terrain wheels make it easy to maneuver in tight spaces. Equipped with a durable steel blade, Mow Joe cuts a 14-inch wide swath with each pass. Tailor the grass cutting height with its 3-position manual height control, which adjusts from 1.18 inches to 2.52 inches. Its 10.6-gallon hard-top rear bag conveniently collects grass clippings and detaches easily for quick disposal. A collapsible handle allows for easy and compact storage when not in use. ETL-approved; Full 2-year warranty.
From the Manufacturer
Responding to the need for an easy-to-use machine that takes care of the smaller yards, Sun Joe developed the Mow Joe MJ401E, a smaller electric lawn mower that delivers the power of a gas machine with the convenience of an electric unit. Its durable steel blade cuts 14 wide with precision on each pass. In addition to its hard-working mowing capacity, the Mow Joe features a three position manual height adjustment. The Mow Joe is equipped with a hard top rear bag, which detaches easily for convenient disposal. No gas, oil, or tune-ups are necessary. The unit is ETL-approved and carries a full two year warranty.
|Product Dimensions||36 x 16 x 38.5 inches|
|Item Weight||28 pounds|
|Shipping Weight||34.2 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)|
|Department||Walk-Behind Lawn Mowers|
|Domestic Shipping||Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S. and to APO/FPO addresses. For APO/FPO shipments, please check with the manufacturer regarding warranty and support issues.|
|International Shipping||This item is not eligible for international shipping. Learn More|
|California residents||Click here for Proposition 65 warning|
|Item model number||MJ401E|
|Batteries||1 Lithium ion batteries required.|
2,423 customer reviews
4.1 out of 5 stars
|Best Sellers Rank||
#217 in Patio, Lawn & Garden (See Top 100 in Patio, Lawn & Garden)
June 18, 2012
1. The Mow Joe 14″ has a 12 amp motor. Amazon is bundling it with a 16 gauge extension cord, despite the fact the manual states that for extension cord lengths under 100ft, a 14 gauge cord is required. For lengths of 100ft or more a 12 gauge cord is required (gauges work backward so a smaller gauge is a thicker wire). Trying to pull 12 amps of power through a little 16 gauge 100ft cord will burn out any electric motor pretty quick. That is why all these reviews complaining about the motor dying after a few weeks bother me. Either through ignorance or cheapness people use an under rated extension cord and blame it on the mower. Amazon could help by not recommending a cord that will destroy the motor.
2. Electric mowers by nature are maintenance mowers. It is assumed that you will be cutting your grass regularly before it gets so tall you are losing small children in it. If your grass in knee high then borrow your neighbors gas mower and get it to a manageable height and then keep it maintained with your nice quiet, lightweight, electric mower. Even the powerful 12 amp motor on this mower will have big problems with out of control grass, including blade stalling and premature motor failure.
In short the Mow Joe 14″ is a great mower if you use it how it’s designed to be used and don’t abuse it.
I have been using and recommend this extension cord:
US Wire 65100 12/3 100-Foot SJTW Orange Heavy Duty Extension Cord
May 11, 2017
This thing handled everything like a champ! I picked up some of the pine cones and larger sticks, but there was still a lot of debris. Some of the weeds were up to knee height, and there were a number of dense patches of mixed vines and ivy. I rarely went over any areas twice, and all the debris and uneven terrain made no noticeable impact on performance. My front and backyard are pretty large, but despite the small size of this mower I was done fast! It’s very light and easy to push, not exhausting at all. We’ll see how it holds up, but for the price you can’t go wrong!
After a month and a half of use, I have one complaint. The mower bag is VERY fragile; be hypervigilant about emptying it, the mesh separates from the plastic bottom very easily if it’s too full. I ended up repairing the tear with Seam Grip, then reinforced the whole seam with Duct Tape. Since the mower is so small you’ll end up emptying the bag A LOT if you have a big yard, but even so I still think this mower is a steal for the price. For under $100 you can’t really expect perfection, and this little guy gets the job done.
We have a small lawn so we wanted something cheap and electric and this fit the bill. It does a very good job all considered and is very easy to move around and use. I have had great luck with sunjoe items, we also own their tiller which is great.
Some positives (not an exhaustive list):
– Great price!
– Light weight and easy to maneuver.
– Consistent cutting, only one pass with small overlap required.
– Powerful enough to cut pretty tall grass (1.5ft easily), though I wouldn’t ask it to do that regularly.
– Bag is the perfect size for a small yard. Very easy to empty into a paper yard waste bag.
Some negatives (but not bad enough to lose a star):
– The wheels feel like they are going to fall off sometimes. They haven’t yet, but I am waiting to have to fix it.
– The cutting height is adjustable, but even the highest height is only just over 2 inches. Usually during the dryer times of the year I would like to mow higher than that.